Charging circuit

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Come to think of it....my Regal has a factory ground strap from the firewall to the engine...........

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yes, that strap needs to be there to provide a good ground for everything grounded to the body. If your battery is in the trunk with a good body ground it may not be as necessary... still a good idea though because all metals have a resistance-per-foot, and like Lee said you can never have too many grounds :D

ImportThis

Daily Driver
Feb 7, 2010
Battery to Frame, Frame to Block, Block to Firewall.. if battery is mounted in rear..
Battery to Block, Block to Frame, Block to Firewall.. if battery is mounted in front..
Not enough ground is worse than having not enough hot..

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
He claimed that a ground strap from the body to the engine made all the difference in the world on the charging system. He said that the charging system wouldn't work properly if there was no ground strap from the body to the block. To that I kept trying to get him to understand that the things affected (his last post was claiming I had the wrong usage of affect and effect :lol:) most by a poor ground strap to the engine would be things grounded to the body, and it wouldn't affect the charging system at all. I don't know if he was grounding his voltmeter to the body or what, but he's set in his thoughts :roll:

Blake442 and at least one or two others in the thread agreed with the alternator grounding through the engine, then through the battery cable from the block to the battery.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It has already been said you cannot have too many grounds. If adding a ground from the block to the body solved his problem, he has other ground issues that he needs to resolve. There is supposed to already be a ground from the battery to the fender, albeit rather a small gauge. The braided strap from the back of the head to the firewall is larger.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That's what I was thinking. I figure he has major issues if the ground strap actually made a difference when the ground cable is supposed to be connected to the block :shock: I actually ran a short 10 gauge wire from the fender where the battery ground is connected to the radiator support for the headlights.

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Eureka Doober.....my headlights that are on the passenger side of my car are dim.....I bet unbolted the ground to those passenger side headlights on my Regal......will check when I get home in the morning......thanks for the timely subject.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts