Charging circuit

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
The short big red wire going from the plug to the post makes the voltage regulation part of the alternator regulate just like a one wire alternator. That is one reason that the voltage droops when you turn things on.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
As far as that goes, why is it a large gauge anyway? Is it just to keep resistance down over distance?

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
I doesn't need to be. The input resistance is quite high on the reference line. I assume that GM just spec'd the same wire size in that circuit, no matter where it went.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
well thanks for the help guys. i guess i'm just going to buy a new alt and start f'ing around to see what i can get figured out. i'll likely get a one wire alt this time around. who knows...maybe the 2 alts i've used so far were both on their way out (both used).

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
ScotSea said:
I doesn't need to be. The input resistance is quite high on the reference line. I assume that GM just spec'd the same wire size in that circuit, no matter where it went.
I had a feeling that might be the case, figured resistance for something like that would be high since it only monitors what the voltage is.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts