DEAD CYLINDER :(

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
I pulled the head off today and at first everything looked great, then I pulled the bad cylinders valves and it looks the exhaust valve is bent. How do you bend a valve, I havent floated the valves that I know of. I did have the cam gear off two teeth once but I wouldnt think that would do that. Should I check all of my valves? Is it possible that it is bent form the factory? the motor has maybe 500 miles on it which includes 8 1/4 mile runs and I havent reved it over 6500.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
I dont remember off hand but it was good. I did also notice that there was a small amount of gold patches in two of the cylinders, one was the one with the bad valve and another one of the cylinders that i didnt test. could this be from the valve guides, cause they are brass? if so does that mean I got to replace the valve guide?

A

Anonymous

What heads (stock or aftermarket)?
What size cam?
What valve springs? Is it possible that exhaust valve's spring is broke or weak?
Who did the valve guides and installed the valve springs?
Is there any mark on the top of the piston in said cylinder?
Is this a street engine or are you racing it?

With the compression test you listed in your first post, I would doubt there are any bent valves on any of the other cylinders.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
the heads are trick flow super 23 195cc with 62cc chambers, the cam has .510 lift and im using 1.5 rockers. When i pulled the valves the springs arent broke and dont feel weak at all. I bulit the motor to race and there wasnt any marks on the piston, but I did put it together a few years ago but I havent put many miles on it. I ran the heads start out of the box. I didnt commpression check all cylinders cause of the headers

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
sometimes those guides are a little tight. does the valve show sighns of discoloration on the stem. t is possible the valve hung up in the guide.

A

Anonymous

crd89stang said:
sometimes those guides are a little tight. does the valve show sighns of discoloration on the stem. t is possible the valve hung up in the guide.

x2

Were the heads new from Trickflow or used/redone?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
they were brand new, Last night I turned the lights off and shined a light into my ports and it looks like i got two more valves that are bent. cylinder #1, 3, and 7. I couldnt see any light on #5

A

Anonymous

Are you running flat tops or some sort of pop-up piston?

I would definitely pull the other head now.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
I cleaned the tops of the pistons and pulled the other head and found that there are small marks on the pistons on the exhaust valve relief. I dont get why the hit the cam isnt that big. The motor is zero deck, the pistons have 7 cc reliefs, the cam has .510 lift and im running 1.5 rocker arms, the heads are 62 cc chamber s and the head gasket is .041 thick.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts