DEAD CYLINDER :(

A

Anonymous

My question would be why didn't the intakes hit (if the lift is the same)?

You mentioned the cam degree being off. Maybe that caused the exhaust valves to barely hit the pistons?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
YA I dont know either Im really stumped on this, all I know is this really sucks. :( The lift on the intake is .507, but i dont think that would make a difference since they are bigger anyways.

pl235c

Amateur Racer
Apr 16, 2007
wichita kansas
I wouldn't say it sucks, more of a blessing in disguise. Have you ever seen what the head of the valve will do to a cylinder head or the piston after it is no longer one with the valve stem? It was going to happen eventually and now you have prevented that catastrophe as well as figured out why the engine didn't perform the way you had expected it to.

A

Anonymous

pl235c said:
I wouldn't say it sucks, more of a blessing in disguise. Have you ever seen what the head of the valve will do to a cylinder head or the piston after it is no longer one with the valve stem? It was going to happen eventually and now you have prevented that catastrophe as well as figured out why the engine didn't perform the way you had expected it to.

x2

Indeed, it's not pretty.

A

Anonymous

"I did have the cam gear off two teeth once but I wouldnt think that would do that."

I'm going to guess, not knowing anything else, that this was your problem, and the damage happened when you ran the motor like that.

I don't believe that cam is big enough with flat tops to have clearance issues.

Sounds like you are going to have to get the heads reworked with new valves replacing the bent valves and checking the seats and guides. Doesn't sound like they hit hard enough to damage the pistons, but you should look at them good as well.

It sux, but it definitely could have been worse....much worse.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
I got to get the head fixed the see what my clearence is then that will tell me how I messed up. :( This is all I didnt need, Im on a fixed income so this is gonna really slow down my drag season.

A

Anonymous

I'll be surprised if you have a clearance problem with everything set up correctly. Be sure and post that on here, I'd like to know. That's not that big of a cam.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
Ya I will make sure to post as soon as I get it all figured out and thanks for the help.

whitetrash84

Dragway Regular
Jan 22, 2004
Muscatine, IA
www.machlink.com
For what it's worth, I bent an exhaust valve on with the same trick flow 23 degree heads. Stock 350 block with factory pistons, a .488/.496 lift cam and 1.5 rockers. Never floated the valve either. I took the valve out and cannot find it anymore, the heads are sitting on the block, never worked on it again. But will someday, and I'll have someone go through both heads and check all guides.

Could be a coincidence.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts