Front brake upgrade question

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
The calipers I personally have are part # SUM-BK185MR. Don't use those for the Malibu, though. I have the Hotchkis tubular upper control arms with Caprice tall spindles and 1LE Camaro 12" rotors. My part number is a direct replacement for CAPRICE calipers. Maybe that's why these look so HUGE and beefy. I couldn't ever imagine these things breaking. They're really big (but very light)...The replacement MALIBU part number would be SUM-BK181R....if you want red. They also have clear anodized and black. Hope this helps...about wheel fitment, I think the aluminum ones would fit where a stock caliper would fit. Otherwise, disclamers would have to be all over the place as far as wheel fitment...(like "minimum 17" wheel required")

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Thanks for the info. Going this route & putting an order to Summitt this week.

malibudave1978

Amateur Racer
Jun 8, 2004
Houston, TX
LS6 Tommy said:
Are those the cast aluminum ones that one of the members had break?

Tommy

Are these the ones you are talking about breaking?

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111382&hilit=caliper

If so those are cast iron, not aluminum. These are speedwaymotor branded metric calipers.

Dave

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It looked like aluminum in the pics, but he never actually said so I just assumed they were...

Tommy

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
SSBC A181 Front calipers were not listed as a bolt on application for a 78 monte carlo so I called them with questions. No help .
My concern is using the stock spindle. I do not know the length of the SSBC calipers and might have to clip the spindle ears to locate new calipers but other then this was hoping to bolt em in place and install new fittings & lines. What might be an issue using these on a 78 spindle??? thanks

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I checked the Summit website for the Summit caliper I listed, and it shows on there that it will fit 78 models as well. I know there's supposed to be a difference in the spindles somewhere, but honestly, I never saw it. Dumb for GM to forge a completely different spindle, and use it for just one model year. Can someone shed some light as to what the difference is in a 78 and a 79 spindle? If anyone knows? I've got a 78 Malibu, and 2 79's, but never had the 78's front end apart....

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
They had different bearings.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts