Front brake upgrade question

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Car is race only 78 monte carlo with 4 piston Strange rear disc brakes. Switching the the stock 1 piston front disc power brakes and going manual. Up front ordering a strange master cylinder and looking to upgrade disc brakes. Car weighs in at about 3000 lb stripped and assuming a 50/50 weight distribution. Looking at this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-1016/

Checked Strange, SSBC, BAER, summitt packages and this seems where I will end up. Would appreciate any input from brake guys on the compatability of this wilwood set up as I am thinking it should be sufficient for my set up. Car is foot brake, no electronic class and best 1/4 mile was 112 mph so I think that should be enough brake to stop my car. Plan on using the existing spindles. Thanks

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Anybody tried this set up by Wilwood?????????????
Need to get going on upgrade and would appreciate any input before I spend the budget.
Maybe I will post this in general discussion and see if I can get feedback

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
4 piston calipers on the back sounds like lots of rear tire lockup. I also think assuming the car has a 50/50 weight bias is a little optimistic.

Tommy

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Tommy I agree on both your points.
The rear lock up was my concern. My options were to retain the stock fronts , I believe they are sufficient to stop the car. A proportioning valve would reduce rear pressure and increase front , would that be to much for the stock fronts. Option 3 is upgrade fronts and I like those wilwood drag brakes. Better then stock single piston brakes ,are light but they are listed for a 2400 lb car.
Thanks for the input, Larry

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
You could always do the 2 wheel drive blazer brake upgrade.. its a bolt on with all factory parts and you get a larger rotor, and a 2 piston caliper.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Adjustable prop valves don't increase pressure to the front. They only reduce pressure to the rear & shouldn't be used in place of a combination valve unless you're running separate front & rear masters with bias adjustment like on a full race system. They're a tuning aid.

Tommy

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
I searched and checked out those 2 wheel drive blazer swaps, looks interesting. When I look for the 2 piston calipers the majority were rebuilds. Do you know the brand or part nos.
Also do I keep the stock bearings or do you need to swap in some blazer ones.

Is the option of keeping the existing rotor & only changing the calipers for 2 piston ones viable, is there a g body caliper that you guys are aware of. thanks

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Summit Racing makes twin piston aluminum calipers that are a bolt-on deal. I have them, but have not put them on yet. They're actually made by SSBC, but they say "summit" on the side of the caliper everyone sees. Lame! at least they have the SSBC logo on the inside.....geez, nothing like rebranding your parts a little more secretively. Awesome pieces, though!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Are those the cast aluminum ones that one of the members had break?

Tommy

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
The alum calipers I saw that were busted were from US Brake I thought.

EDIT:
Malicad can you post the part number. Got a headache scrolling through SSBC / Summit searching. When I called summit Wednesday they quoted a set shipped from Global West at $375 for a kit but were single piston.

Also as I am dumping the booster and going manual brake the summit calipers seem to be 1.46 or 1.69 dia. which is correct for my application. Lastly I need them to fit behind 15 x 3.5 draglite skinnies is that going to be a problem.thanks

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts