Help Building Big Block

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
I appreciate your stand on the the parts. All too often people only purchased based on price without concern or understand on the big picture.
For a street car 450+ cid is fine. 10.5-1 would be the a great ratio and still allow a power adder should desire to go down that road as well. Because this will be an E-85 build, discuss this with whom ever you are getting parts. If does make a difference in many things. Cams specifically, an E-85 cam will be different for pump gas. Also E-85 has good resistance to detonation but can be susceptible to pre-ignition. Keep the plugs cold and NO projected tips.

If you need more help........

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Robert1320 said:
If you need more help........
Thanks for all the help so far Robert and I will let you know if I need anything else.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
A basic open chamber oval port head would be a great head for what you are doing. I ran 781 heads on a 408 BB that went mid 11's in a 71 camaro. That was 10.6-1 compression too. I know they are not USA made, but Eagle and Scat are reputable companies. I have Eagle rods and crank in my 540. Some of the others are really offering lookalike junk though. That being said, a cast crank and GM rods with 7/16 bolts is all I had in the 408.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
I took the motor to the machine shop yesterday and he told me for my goals he reconmended aftermarket rods. He also said that the particular castings of oval ports I had (70-73 396-402 Truck heads) weren't very good. So he is checking for some better heads and I am shopping for rods and pistons.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
He said they wouldn't flow to meet my goals (the ones stated earlier in this thread). But I didn't really understand why, I figured any head made before the mid 70's 'gas crisis' emissions war or whatever ought to flow well and be a good performance head, right? Do you think I should go ahead and use them?

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
For the E.T. goal that you stated earlier the stock rods and crank will do fine. The 049 head is a good head. You might want to find another machine shop because it sounds like this guy is trying to make more money off you.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!