help with brakes

luv2xlr8

Amateur Racer
Dec 1, 2003
mentone,alabama
when i bleed my brakes on my 78 malibu i have good pressure on the front brakes but the fluid barely runs out on the rear. i installed new wheel cylinders in the rear and its still the same. could this be my booster or the master cylinder?

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
first need to bleed at master cyl to make sure that you are getting pressure to rear circuit. if it was dry it may need a new master cyl

DV8

Amateur Racer
Nov 14, 2005
Bucyrus Ohio
I'd say it's the rear flexible hose. Those have the bad habit of collapsing internally and blocking flow with age........ are yours original? Might want to replace the fronts at the same time if they are, you'd be surprised how different your brakes feel afterwards.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Is the "brakes" light on? If you stepped on the brake pedal with the rear cylinders removed you may have to reset the combo valve. It latches in the "safety" position. To reset it you must fix any leaks in the system and push the pedal hard enough to develop a minimum 450 Psig line pressure.

Tommy

luv2xlr8

Amateur Racer
Dec 1, 2003
mentone,alabama
alot of fluid came out of the lines while replacing the wheel cylinders. the pedal goes almost all the way to the floorboard and is very soft but the light is not on

Phantom

Pro Stocker
Oct 9, 2004
DeSoto Wi
I bet it's your proportional valve I had the same problem with mine. When I changed my wheel cylinders a couple years ago.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!