I HAVE A KNOCK

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
Just developed a knock in the engine, I don't think it's there when the car is cold, but when it's warmed up, this is what it sounds like:

Any words of wisdom? ](*,) curse_sign.gif

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Kinda hard to tell, could be a loose rocker from a collapsed lifter, or lower end bearing going. Whats your oil pressure like? How long have you owned it? Last oil change? What weight oil was used?

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
Oil preassure

photo-82.jpg

I still have the break in oil in it. I had it running for about 6 months, before that the motor was freshly rebuilt (according to the last owner) and never ran.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Hmmm, new motor knocking=not good. Why is the break in oil still in it? Should've changed that after the first 15 minutes of run time. I would drain the oil, while it's still draining use a light to look thru the oil and see if there is any metal in it, like copper from a bearing. If there is, just pull the engine before there is any more damage. Otherwise screw a new Wix filter and fill it with fresh oil, start and see if it's the same. My guess is if starts knocking once warm, you got some loose bearing tolerances caused by premature bearing wear. :(

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
X3^^^, Valvetrain tap/tick noise.
Hopefully it's not a Lobe going flat, if it's a Flat Tappet Cam. Maybe just a loose Rocker. Readjust.
If it's a Rocker Stud pulling out it will be taller than the others. Check with a flat edge.
Take a piece of fuel hose etc.. to listen thru and locate where the noise is coming from.

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
Well, the verdict so far is that it most likely the bearings. We tried to adjust the rockers, but that did not fix anything. This added to the fact that I have no idea what I have inside that engine (got it with the car, and prior owner couldn't tell me any details except that it was built by "trusted" people) led to the decission to pull the engine out and go through it. Sucks. But at least when I'm done, I'll know exactly what I have.

Stay tuned.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Ive had a header leak sound like a lifter tick. Its a long shot, but yours definitely sounds worse than a header leak. If its a rod bearing you can kill 1 cylinder at a time and usually figure out which cyl the noise is coming from, your basically taking the load of that cylinder.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
also a shot in the dark..i've had 2 engines where the inside of the valve cover rubs the rocker arm slightly..but enough to make a low knocking sound..loosen and pushed them towards the carb no knock..upon pulling the cover you can see it shined up the cover by where there is a casting brace..a little dremel action..no knock..just a few ideas..still a shot in the dark.. good luck

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts