I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to convert?

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
Re: I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to conv

I had planned on running my 468 on alcohol with a bg 400 and a holley big port regulator, but I'm seriously rethinking the deal. I can get 55 gals. of alky for 118 bucks a drum, the main reason I wanted to run it since C-16 is about 12 bucks a gallon here. It would also make way more torque, seen it on the dyno. The main reason for reconsidering is I just changed the oil in the car and it definately had some water in it. The motor had only idled some so I could tune it to drive it on the trailer and get it in the paint booth. The quickfuel carb I have had some issues and it took me a good while to figure out what was wrong with it, though I'm sure it's still not perfect. The local drag radial class won't let you run alky so I just bought a new gas APD 850 style carb. I just have to replumb my fuel system to run everything off of the bg 400, nitrous and all. That'll save me from putting a small fuel cell and pump up front to run the nitrous off of and running the motor on alky. It is definately way more maintenece than gas, with having to flush the lines and drain the carb all the time. And, don't let anyone kid you into thinking you can leave that stuff in there with no consequences, it absorbs water, period. Also found out alky, and e-85 can make an acid when mixed with water. I guess that's what caused most of the corrosion to aluminum. I will get the alky carb sorted out and do some back to back testing down the road.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!