Lets see some engine pics

lesscubes

Sep 26, 2010
Seattle WA
www.tcnwracing.com
9af42c0d.jpg

Gotta get a bigger aircleaner on this thing, the other one I have is dropbase and won't clear the HEI.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
What I've been puttin' around with the past year.
DSC05739.jpg

DSC05740.jpg

How is air supposed to even get past that thing?!
DSC05741.jpg

DSC05742.jpg

I'll probably just put a flat-base air cleaner on it and plumb the PCV to that... I think I actually have one sitting up in Michigan.

*edit/disclaimer*
The extra wiring isn't all my doing... only the big one along the passenger side inner fender :roll: That stuff's either going to be rerouted or taken out altogether when the 383 goes in.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
hey evil_regal. I'm thinking about painting my wheel wells also. What type of paint did you use and has it held up good and does it get real dirty easily? Thanks.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
Doober said:
What I've been puttin' around with the past year.
DSC05739.jpg

DSC05740.jpg

How is air supposed to even get past that thing?!
DSC05741.jpg

DSC05742.jpg

I'll probably just put a flat-base air cleaner on it and plumb the PCV to that... I think I actually have one sitting up in Michigan.

*edit/disclaimer*
The extra wiring isn't all my doing... only the big one along the passenger side inner fender :roll: That stuff's either going to be rerouted or taken out altogether when the 383 goes in.

thats not the pcv thats just a breather. the pcv comes off the front of the throttle body and is in the pass valve cover. you can just stick a breather in the drivers side valve cover.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I have wondered the same thing about mine doob. I think after the shortbed is running, I am going to play with big brown. Maybe apply some of the ulitmate TBI mods all the guys over on FSC preach about.

I am hoping to find a TBI 454 for it sometime next year. Gonna leave it half ton with 3.42 gears, keeping my built 700r4, just throwing a stock 454 in front of it.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Hopefully you get a throttle body that has a throttle shaft that has a provision for the TV cable stud. Mine didn't, so I have to come up with something to rectify the situation... I don't think it'll be too bad though (hopefully!). If you look at the TB on your truck and where the TV cable is connected, on the 454 TB I have, there isn't even anything there for mounting a stud. I'm going to see if I can either contact a place like TBI Parts, or have a small piece of steel bent, then mount it to the current plate on the 454 TB. A 454 TB doesn't have the little ridge the other TBs have, so that doesn't need to be done. When I took mine apart, the screws for the butterflies came right out, so no grinding was needed (I'm thinking I'll just leave the shaft alone personally). I also think I'll wind up going with a regulator that replaces the stock one, I don't know if I'll have the $$$ for plumbing + an aftermarket one. I found one on eBay that is adjustable up to 40psi... not really needed for a stock setup of course, but it's adjustable down to 8psi, so you could still hook up a gauge and adjust the system to its proper pressure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370322496184&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
!Bj3vZl!BWk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEs-Yy0BiTBLVMdOhrJ!~~_12.JPG

I don't know what stock ECMs are calibrated for though, so if you go too far under/over you wind up running lean in AE/PE (acceleration/power enrichment) modes... I think steady-state cruising is handled by the O2 sensor.

No ridge around the throttle bores on a 454 TB like on the smaller TBs...
DSC05252.jpg

Some other researching I was doing showed there are actually two separate 454TBs. I have the older one (on the left), I'm not sure when the new one started.
7.4LTBI%20Comparison.jpg

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I was told to look for a 88-90 TBI 454 truck. Everything from it should work correctly in my truck.

My buddy just did his 94 K2500 350 TBI to 454 TBI. He plugged it right into the factory harness and it worked. He did swap the computer.

Here are some of my project

P9290194.jpg

P9290195.jpg

P9290214.jpg

P9290215.jpg

P9290205.jpg

Just a chuggin along

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts