lifter tap..

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i've been working on my buddies 53 olds 88,at highway speeds it has a slight lifter tap.the oil pressure is fine at fourty psi.we pulled the covers and everything looks fine and tight.its an oem shaft set up and it all looks good with no play.it's only got 30k on its a cream puff.just trying to figure this out.i offered him to switch to a thicker oil but he wasn't to keen on it.it doesn't have any noise at any other time and it's not an exhaust leak.thanks guys

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
might just need to rerun the valves... the lifter will wear concave on the bottom and loosen up over time...

Chris K.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
DFWMalibu said:
might just need to rerun the valves... the lifter will wear concave on the bottom and loosen up over time...

Chris K.
is it the same procedure with the shaft mounted set ups?

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
I couldn't tell you on that...

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
t5montecarlo said:
is the valve train adjustable? or just bolt down and go?
it looks like it's not adjustable,it's a stock 50's gm set up.cast rockers with a spring seperating each rocker from the one beside it.i wish i could tell you more but i'm not fimilar with this one.if it helps its nothing like the set up i have on my world product heads.non roller funny looking job.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
t5montecarlo said:
sounds like the same setup as a mopar; you bolt the shaft down and you are done.
wow thats it?huh,didn't know that.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
IMO would contact Mondello or one of the other Olds fanatic web sites.

What type of oil,is being used. Hope it's something that has the correct scuff package for that flat tappet cam like Brad Penn or Valvoline Not Street Legal oil. Don't use straight API SM rated oil on that old 303.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
well we changed the oil to 20weight and it cleared it up.thanks for the responces guys with this old girl \:D/

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts