Ls conversion begins

starfire350

Frequent Racer
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas, TEXAS
So I've been doing all my reading started gathering parts and got started. Engine is a aluminum 5.7 from an 04 vette. 44000 miles dissasembeled gapped rings for the blower got a nice cam and springs new gaskets put it all together. Got new fuel pump trans dapt 1 inch set back plates and pacesetter headers. Sold the engine and trans out of the car ( kept the f1r) and here we go
0321C3BD.jpg

Engine out ready for new one

This is where the mounts were
4237CA3E.jpg

Set the new engine in
0DBBC3E4.jpg

Doesn't fit hits the cross member with the new gm muscle car pan. But just barley so I try and move the mounts to a slightly further back position fight that for an hour. Doesn't work so I put the mounts back where they were and decide to "clearance" the cross member
FF97C5CC.jpg

Ignore my high value of safety equipment (bare feet) with a plaza cutter
Set the engine in again for another hour fight. Now the engine goes down but the mount holes WILL NOT line up the adapters do not fit properly or I'm missing something it is midnight and I'm 4 or five whiskeys into the evening any one else seen this
302F69A5.jpg

F21D2CFA.jpg

Any ideas!!!

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Same issue here. Ended up using the Transdapt standard adapter and installing them 1 hole back (sets engine roughly 1" back). Cleared the crossmember.

Getting the bolt holes to line up was impossible for me. Others have had success, but the 1/8" thick adapters seemed to just mess up the geometry enough since the frame mounts are angled (I am using Moroso solid mounts). I even tried loosening the frame mount bolts and had issues.

Solution- I dropped the motor in where I wanted it to be side to side. Made sure the car and engine were level and tacked the solid mounts in with my MIG. I was able to utilize a few of the frame holes, had to open up a couple a bit and it works great. Since you have a plasma I assume you have a welder 8)

I am sure others have a better solution, but this is what worked for me.

gearheads78

Pro Stocker
Nov 6, 2003
Dallas TX
I guess I need to be over there with a bucket of cold water for when your feet catch on fire. HAHAHA

starfire350

Frequent Racer
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas, TEXAS
Ya I have a welder, and I think Im going to bolt the mounts to the block set the mount pad on the frame set up the engine angles and such and get them where I want it all to be. I may be able to get it moved back a little more that way also. Tack both lower mount plates to the frame then remove the 2 long bolts pull the engine back out and drill some new holes wherever they lay. Then since they are the 3 piece mounts I can run a bead all the way around the lower plate to the frame. sounds good!!??!! oh ya then box in the crossmember also. Ill give you a shout before I pull the welder out so you can join me with a few water buckets.......

The worst part is the trans dapt plates that are "designed" for this I paid for then when I got them they were prerusted and paint flakeing off in the box so I had to spend another 30 on them to have them cleaned and powder coated. What a joke product....

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
That is exactly what I did in terms of having it bolted together, dropped down, leveled and then tacked the frame mounts. Pulled the motor then drilled the few holes that needed to be opened up, bolted the frame mounts down, dropped the motor back in and BAM, perfect.

B.G.

Amateur Racer
Sep 12, 2008
Seymour, Wisconsin
trans dapt = made in china crap. call their customer service or tech line.....
I've never had a customer of mine call with that problem as long as they used shells and frame mounts that worked with their distributor chev engine. Even the moroso solid mounts are imported quality and usually require a little "massaging" to fit stock applications.
Also, mine are aluminum and don't rust.

uneek1976

Weekend Racer
Jul 15, 2009
B.G. said:
trans dapt = made in china crap. call their customer service or tech line.....
I've never had a customer of mine call with that problem as long as they used shells and frame mounts that worked with their distributor chev engine. Even the moroso solid mounts are imported quality and usually require a little "massaging" to fit stock applications.
Also, mine are aluminum and don't rust.

What kind of mounts do you have?

starfire350

Frequent Racer
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas, TEXAS
Well the welder deal worked for you and it Will work for me. I have a plaz 3 welders and a torch aint scared to get after it

starfire350

Frequent Racer
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas, TEXAS
I'm interested in seeing your mount info also b.g. Don't be so secreative I'm looking for another car to make a daily driver and it will have to be LS also

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!