LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
BottleBaby Bu said:
Griswald said:
Does nitrous go boom? 8)

Only when you least ecpect it. :shock:

Nitrous itself is not explosive or flammable. Like any oxidizer, it will drastically increase the flammability of any combustible it's mixed with.

You can burst a N20 cylinder from overpressure due to heat. Never use a torch to heat a cold cylinder. That's what bottle heaters are for.

Tommy

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
LS6 Tommy said:
Nitrous itself is not explosive or flammable. Like any oxidizer, it will drastically increase the flammability of any combustible it's mixed with.

You can burst a N20 cylinder from overpressure due to heat. Never use a torch to heat a cold cylinder. That's what bottle heaters are for.

Tommy

It was a joke, Tommy. And trust me.....nitrous does go BOOM!!! ;)

BottleBaby Bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 17, 2004
Houston, Texas
www.Houstonhotrods.net
boyzbad said:
Does compression determin how much nitrous you can use? Would 250 or less be safe at 14 to1?

IMO
Yes, you will be fine with 14 to 1 and 250. 250 is not alot of nitrous. Personally I think nitrous likes the compression. The window for ignition timing error gets smaller but it is very doable.

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
boyzbad said:
Does compression determin how much nitrous you can use? Would 250 or less be safe at 14 to1?

We run 18:1 in our Outlaw motor and spray close to 900hp total on 3 systems. I ran 14:1 in my old 434 and sprayed it with a little over 600hp.

Compression is a GOOD thing!

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Now as far as ring pack goes. I see a big time builder in ND that has a 434 at 9" deck with 6" rod claiming 1200+hp on NOS. Can you spray that much with that tight ring pack??

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
boyzbad said:
Now as far as ring pack goes. I see a big time builder in ND that has a 434 at 9" deck with 6" rod claiming 1200+hp on NOS. Can you spray that much with that tight ring pack??

I figured I was around 1150 at the wheels with mine.

If your tune is on, it will live.

A

Anonymous

Hey I'm new to the whole nitrous thing and I'm considering a plate system prob a 100 wet shot, 150 at the very most. We built the motor with forged pistons and good headgaskets to handle a bit of spray, im just curious how the whole fuel system would work i'd like to keep it simple as possible. Thanks for your help.

BottleBaby Bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 17, 2004
Houston, Texas
www.Houstonhotrods.net
Tell us about the fuel system

A

Anonymous

The way it is now? Basically a stock mech pump system, with braided lines to the Holley DP. I'm just looking to find out if i need to run a separate fuel system for the N20. Maybe a small cell with race gas and a separate pump for the nitrous side, or from what I understand you can use a single fuel system with a big pump and two regulators. I'm really a little confused on how it would work. I'm looking to go the simplest route that is going to be safe.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts