Nitrous questions

BottleBaby Bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 17, 2004
Houston, Texas
www.Houstonhotrods.net
You need at a minimum 2 regulators. 1 for the motor and 1 for the nitrous. A seperate system with race fuel is a good way for a street car on 93 octane. That way you can run the race fuel in the nitrous when you need it. Or you can run the big single pump with a fuel log and 2 regulators on top. Either way is fine.

A

Anonymous

BottleBaby Bu said:
Cutlass Steve said:
How much timing do you take let saay with a

IMO 2 per 50 is a bit much but a decent starting point. You will need to read the plugs immediately after a shut down pass to determine what your application likes. We usually dont pull any timing on a 150 and 2 degree's on 200.

Hey BottlebabyBu. I am running a NOS cross bar plate as a 2 stage plate on a 496 bbc in a 3270lbs stock susp Bu. I was just curious where your timing starting point would be. What would you pull? I run 80's on the first bar and 55's on the second. Working towards 85's all the way around. Baby steps!

NoMoore

Pro Stocker
May 26, 2006
Rochester, Pa
I guess I do have a series of questions. Thanks bottle baby bu in advance for any advice you can throw my way.

I am putting together a 406, with a 3 fold duty.

1. Bracket racing no nitrous
2. Occasional test and tune night sprays.
3. very very limited street duty, like to the burger joint and back a couple times a year.

I have alot to say so I will try to be succinct and understandable.

These are the parts I HAVE.
Little M block
Callies stealth 3.75 stroke crank
Manley H beam 6 inch rods
Pro Topline 235cc heads
Comp Cams .699/.704 .271/[email protected]" 113 ls 4/7 swap solid roller
super victor intake
TMP 1000cfm carb
JW Ultra comp converter
NOS pro Shot Fogger with its own fuel system.

I need to buy pistons, and have been plannin on about 13 to 1 static range. They will be top notch pistons but I still have not totally chosen a brand yet. Diamond, CP, JE, and BRC are all in the running.

So on to the questions, sorry if they are inspecific.
1. What do you feel is the maximum SAFE level of N2O it will take with a good tune?(Conservatively) I am not interested in going to the ragged edge of my parts, and the rods are good, but pretty lightweight.

2. What Compression ratio would you aim for? NOTE: I'd like to run 110 cam2 for non nitrous duty.

3. I have a separate fuel tank for my nitrous kit, if I were to run c12 or c16 in there, would the cam 2 in the regular tank lead to detonation when spraying?

4. The converter is made to hold up, but set up to run without N2O, I do hav a multi step retard, Are there any other things I should consider for limited nitrous use, considering it will likely be a decent size shot ~250 to 300?

5. What rings would you recomend?

6. How about head gaskets. I have a set of Fel pro 1034's. SHould I buy different ones? And when does Oringing the block become critical?

Thanks a bazillion.

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
couple more thoughts for pistons.. venolia and wiseco

hellfire rings which are also j/e's n2o rings they sell

o-ringing is old school and not needed, go with a mls gasket from cometic or fel-pro

I'm no engine builder but I'd maybe look into a .043 1/16 3/16+spacer ring pack

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
NoMoore said:
1. What do you feel is the maximum SAFE level of N2O it will take with a good tune?

2. What Compression ratio would you aim for? NOTE: I'd like to run 110 cam2 for non nitrous duty.

3. I have a separate fuel tank for my nitrous kit, if I were to run c12 or c16 in there, would the cam 2 in the regular tank lead to detonation when spraying?

4. The converter is made to hold up, but set up to run without N2O, I do hav a multi step retard, Are there any other things I should consider for limited nitrous use, considering it will likely be a decent size shot ~250 to 300?

6. How about head gaskets. I have a set of Fel pro 1034's. SHould I buy different ones? And when does Oringing the block become critical?

Thanks a bazillion.

1. 350 shot no problem

2. 14:1

3. c16 and throw out any additive you ever thought of

4. loose coverter will not like the nitrous too much.

6. as stated..........Cometic

A

Anonymous

I hope I won't interfere with this thread but I'm NOT getting any responses from my query entitled "Jetting".
I have a nitrous setup and it has 2 Cheater systems. They are in a crossbar configuration.(The plates) What jets do I run to be safe? I have 82's and 91's in it right now with a nitrous controller by NOS.
Thanks,Leon

A

Anonymous

Griswald said:
NoMoore said:
1. What do you feel is the maximum SAFE level of N2O it will take with a good tune?

Thanks a bazillion.

1. 350 shot no problem

I am assuming you would run that 350 shot as two stages??
and if guy had a titghter lobe seperation (say 106) would you reccomend that same things? Also using a loose converter would you limit the first shot and step it up on the second shot? Lastly, what is a good plate system to run that amount of N2O?

NoMoore

Pro Stocker
May 26, 2006
Rochester, Pa
Griswald said:
NoMoore said:

Thanks a bazillion.

1. 350 shot no problem

Thanks Gris!

WHat do you think about the two fuels though? Like 110 in my main tank and c16 in the Nitrous tank.

NoMoore

Pro Stocker
May 26, 2006
Rochester, Pa
Griswald said:
I think it will be fine if you sneak up on the tune.

I'll be tip toe'n like a ballerina.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts