Nitrous questions

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
this is awesome the more and more videos i see with cars and n20 the more and more i want to use it but i dont know what i can get away with...

my set up is:

355, 4 bolt main, stock pm rods w/arp bolts, all machining was proffesionaly done,balanced, align honed, bored .030 over, deck was trued, im using speed pro forged pistons 4v relief, according to summit pistons are 9.72:1 with 64 cc heads, i milled my heads down to 58cc to increase compression should be in the area of about 10.5:1, heads are 1.94/1.50 vortecs with all work done to accept larger lift, the cam is a competition extreme energy 268 110 lsa .477"/.480" 224*/230* @ .050 installed straight up, 1600-5800 power band, i gaped the rings myself setting up for NA use at about .16 end gap for both top rings (.04 for every 1" of bore) or is it .016? sorry if i missed a 0 but its set up for NA. the carb is 670 holley street avenger with vac. secondarys and edelbrock rpm air gap vortec, headers are dynomax ceramic coated and flows into a 2 1/2 mandrel bent system with flowmasters the block is from a newer escalade so no provision for a mech. pump im using a aeromotive s/s fuel pump flows 125 GPH at 8 psi on 12 volts, with -8 line from tank to areomotive return style regulator (universal bypass w/ boost refrence port 1:1) to carb and -8 back to the tank (return style fuel system) with pre and post fuel pump filters i know i need to sump the tank before i look into nitrous (and should reguardless) as of now i just have a 90* fitting at the lowest portion of the tank. im running a msd pro billet distributor, 6al box with 6000 rev limiter, factory ac delco plugs for a 96 chevy pickup truck with vortec heads, and ttl timing set at 36* with msd wires, 700-r4 trans with a tci 2800 stall converter without anti ballooning plate, 8.5 10 bolt moser axles, eaton posi richmond 4.10 gears

1. can i use this current fuel system to feed both carb and n20 system??? (only of course once its sumped) do i have to split the fuel line to feed the n20 fuel regulator prior to my carb's fuel regulator or can i run a line from the regulator for the carb to the regulator for the nitrous systems fuel?

2. whats the biggest recommended shot that this combo can hold up to safely? im afraid of destroying anything and would prefer to be somewhat conservitive i was thinking about a plate system? any recommendations on a kit?

3. do i have to change my spark plugs? if so to what?

4. even tho my rings are gapped for NA and my converter has no ballooning plate can i still use nitrous?

*edit*
did a lil research on the aermotive site found an answer to question #1

I’m using a bypass style regulator for my carbureted fuel system. I want to install a nitrous kit. How do I set up a second regulator, either static or bypass, to control nitrous fuel pressure?
To avoid engine damage, be VERY careful with this one! As explained in FAQ:1 above, the bypass regulator creates pressure between itself and the fuel pump, so if set for 7 PSI, that is the total system pressure available. Adding a second bypass regulator and attempting to set it for a lower pressure than the primary regulator, would default the entire fuel system to the lower pressure, creating a potential lean-out condition. Connecting a static regulator to a typical bypass system, with no more than 7-8 psi available, creates insufficient inlet pressure to the static regulator (12-15 psi is normally recommended). The result is reduced fuel flow through the static regulator and/or poor pressure regulation to the nitrous fuel solenoid, another potential lean-out condition. Short of installing a separate fuel system for the nitrous (highly recommended), the only option is to raise the bypass regulator set-point to 15-25 PSI, creating enough line pressure to feed two static regulators, each set for the proper carb and nitrous fuel pressures desired.

Pontiac80

Frequent Racer
Mar 8, 2005
I have never used N2o and I'm going to hook up the system this weekend. I'm planning to just try 50HP first.

Can I mount the plate system North and south? so the Fuel line is in the front and the NOS line on the back of the CARB?

Why do people heat up the bottle with Troches?

A

Anonymous

they use torches to heat the bottle, so that it will build up pressure... more pressure=better flow=more power although its highly recommended to get a bottle warmer, and NOT use a torch, because too much pressure and... BOOM :shock:

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Which way does the plate go on the intake? Does it matter? Do I want the spray bar running parallel with the divider or perpendicular?
I ask as this may affect how much space I have for the solinoids. Do the solinoids need to be located as close to the plate as possible?

I have a 454 that I am going to throw a 150 shot at. My times are in my sig. Do you think I could break into the 10s if I could hook it?

BottleBaby Bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 17, 2004
Houston, Texas
www.Houstonhotrods.net
Re:

Pontiac80 said:
I have never used N2o and I'm going to hook up the system this weekend. I'm planning to just try 50HP first.

Can I mount the plate system North and south? so the Fuel line is in the front and the NOS line on the back of the CARB?

Why do people heat up the bottle with Troches?

Yes you can mount it north and south. Just make sure the plate is right side up. Look at the spray bars and there will be 1 set pointed down. Thats the side you want down.

BottleBaby Bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 17, 2004
Houston, Texas
www.Houstonhotrods.net
Meat Drapes said:
Which way does the plate go on the intake? Does it matter? Do I want the spray bar running parallel with the divider or perpendicular?
I ask as this may affect how much space I have for the solinoids. Do the solinoids need to be located as close to the plate as possible?

I have a 454 that I am going to throw a 150 shot at. My times are in my sig. Do you think I could break into the 10s if I could hook it?

You want it running paralell with the divider. Solenoid mounting is usually with 12" of the plate with the braided lines.

Yes, 10's are very possible if the car reacts well to it........etc like the converter, gear and of course how well it hooks on the gas.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts