quiet mufflers

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Cruising I don't really have any resonance with the Pypes system, but if I'm on the gas at all it gets quite loud :) Nice deep rumble at idle too, I think part of that may be due to the rotted out quarter panels letting sound in, then it resonating in the trunk.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
ok i think i have determined hat sound i want...i want that quiet tinny sound..i have heard a few at the track but never paid attention to what mufflers they had..i did watch a u-tube vid with a g-body that had that sound, but cant seem to remember where the link was??

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
update!! ok i bought thrush turbo mufflers..the long ones..kicked them out in front of the rear wheels..they sound deep but quiet at idle just went for a short cruise didnt seem bad?..they were 39.00 ea. 2-1/2 dia..at this point its mission acomplished!..thanks guys

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Resonance will probably increase, it almost always does, though it varies on application. The heat cycling of the mufflers/pipes tends to harden them so they don't do as well of a job. Every system I've had or had done always gets a little louder over time.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
yea, almost all these turbo style mufflers have a glass -type packing..that burns out of course..lol..if they would only stay like they are now ...

Memphis

Daily Driver
Mar 16, 2011
The "Welded Thrush" mufflers are not Flowmaster knock offs! If they were then why do the W/T flow more/better and sound better with less resonance? Did Thrush make improvements? Flowmasters are some of the worst flowing mufflers you can buy. Dynomax "Ultraflows" are some of the best flowing mufflers made but paying $85.00-$105.00 each kinda sucks.

On a budget it's really hard to beat the Welded Thrush mufflers. If you want a quiet system you would install expansion chambers or what the factory called resonators prior to the muffler. I plan on fabbing up a set of boxed expansion chambers for mine to maintain free flow but stop the noise. JD

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
I'm not a fan of the Flowstoppers either. :lol:
Some Flow Info etc..>> http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html

Cherry Bomb also has some nice sounding & flowing Muffs.

Stop the Drone>> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102075: pretty easy to make them, small capped tube.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
ok update the long hush thrush turbo muffs sound awsome on my malibu dumping before the rear axle,....buuuuttttt those same muffs on my 72 wagon sound terrible!!.. they are run behind rear axle and out..i cant stand the sound under light throttle..idle good , taking off normally sounds bad..really bad..wide open sounds good..this car has manifolds not headers..i'm considering having them replaced and i just got it back!!..argh!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
SSedan64 said:
I'm not a fan of the Flowstoppers either. :lol:
Some Flow Info etc..>> http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html

I read that article a long time ago & I'm doing a very similar system when the time comes.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts