Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
who did you end up taking it to?

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Woody's Exxon on rt.10 in Succasunna. He was the only one in the area that I could find that has a mandrel bender.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Ok...I picked up the car this morning and there is good news and there is bad news.

The good news is that I am happy with the sound of the Magnaflows. They sound good so far even though I can't really run the car for more than a few minutes since I still have to install the radiator and fans. I'm going to install the cooling system after I take the front clip apart to blast and paint the core support and replace the right fender. From the short time that I did run it they sound nice and mellow and will go well with the sleeper look I'm going for. Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Now for the bad news...I guess there was some mis-communication with Woody's. As I was inspecting the car up on his lift I noticed that none of the bends were mandrel bends. They were all the "crush" style. I could have sworn that when I initially called I asked if he had a mandrel bender and asked him again when I had him look at the car and dropped it off. I don't know what happened. Could I have not mentioned it in any of our conversations? Or did he take advatange of me thinking I wouldn't know the difference? I did ask him about it and he said that I never mentioned it. What do you do? Have him rip the whole thing out and have a huge confrontation? Or just deal with it? I mean he did do a decent job even though it's not mandrel bent. It tucks up nice and is solid. And as a side note, I also wish he used a stainless tips instead of a chrome ones as the chrome ones only last a year or so, but that I know we didn't talk about.

So...here are a bunch of pics. They are cell phone pics so they are not all that great. I'm no exhaust expert, but it looks pretty good to me. What do you guys think??

photobucket-2082-1336748838601.jpg

photobucket-462-1336748820655.jpg

photobucket-12450-1336748707381.jpg

photobucket-5764-1336748790005.jpg

photobucket-19175-1336748807522.jpg

photobucket-5271-1336748726440.jpg

photobucket-4949-1336748767580.jpg

photobucket-4597-1336748747823.jpg

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
it looks good, definately alot better than most shops would do in this area. question really is if you paid for a mandrel bent sytem and got that instead then id be pissed. not many shops have mandrel bending equipment because its way too expensive and not many people are gonna ask for it.

in my opinion the crush style bends arent really going to hurt it - it already has cats and stock manifolds.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I think the exhaust looks great personally. With the manifolds on there I don't think you would have a noticeable difference if the bends were mandrel anyways. It's just me but I hate those kind of exhaust clamps. The band clamps do look alot better and don't tend to snag anything.

But other then that I'd say it's pretty nice. Hopefully he didn't hit you up too much

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not sure if I paid for a mandrel bent system or not. The other mandrel place that I found, that I didn't use, quoted me about the same. But, according to the guy I used, supposedly we never spoke about a mandrel system anyway, so I would think that I paid for what I got. Including everything, including the cats, x-pipe and mufflers it came to $1300. So I hope that was fair.

As for the clamps, yea, I would have preferred the band clamps also, but that was another thing I didn't think of at the time. Maybe eventually I'll replace them with band style. For now I'll just turn them all 90 degrees so it looks a little better and doesn't snag any roadkill.

Thanks guys for the positive comments on the system. This was the first custom system I've had done and didn't have anything previous to compare it too. I've only done aftermarket cat back systems before this.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts