quiet mufflers

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i started thinking about this also after reading misfit's post about no sticker before but i love them flowmaster's so we'll see [-o<

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
DYNOMAX VT mufflers ... take a look at 'em.

My Dad had a horrible problem with his pickup and muffler noise on the street. He did the exhaust 3 times before finding a solution. The VT muffler is quiet as stock at idle; but WAILS at full throttle as the blades open up and increase the flow. These are a bit expensive at $99 each.

I tried the summit turbo mufflers on my '79. They were great for about 1000k miles. My theory is all the miles on the interstate (and heavy foot) burned out all the insulation. They are SUPER loud now. I'm thinking of stepping up to a dynomax, magnaflow, or borla to quiet it back down, but keep the performance. ... but that's way down the line. I'm still repairing the front clip after my parking garage incident. It's hard to blame the other guy when his car is PARKED. GRRRumpy at myself about that!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Personally I'm a little leery about the VT mufflers... heat cycling along with tension/release of the spring will eventually cause it to a)not pull the blade shut like it should due to no more tension, or b)simply break.

I have the Pypes system (x-pipe, exits behind rear wheels GN style) with RacePro mufflers on the Malibu, and the truck has a stock style system (y-pipe with longtube headers and 3" cat) with a single 3" Pypes RacePro muffler. It's not super quiet, but it's more or less a straight-through muffler (offset inlet/outlet cuts down on the noise some). Acceleration is noticeable in the cab, but at cruising speed it's great, very little noise. I like to be able to somewhat hear the exhaust so I have an idea where the RPMs are without having to look at the tach, and this is just about perfect imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLzQJA0wQY

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
purple barney said:
i also have the cheap thrush 2 chamber on my mustang. 32.00 bucks at the local advance auto. they are flowmaster copies, the patent ran out so now you can get the flow master sound on the cheap \:D/

I'm not big on the Flowmaster sound. They they'd pay ME to run them?? :lol:

Tommy

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
I put supper 44 on my pickup resonation when under the cab was nutts.. got it under the bed and It drop.. not sure I want it on my wagon... it sounds nice but resonation or lack thereoff is my main deal breaker

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
I have and had issues

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
i like the tinny sounding mufflers..these will be dumped out in-front of the rear wheels...i have flows opn my 69 camaro out the back..still a little loud inside..with full interior..i will have no intrior carpet etc..soo it needs to be quiet..lol..and 4.10 gears to boot..

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts