rear disc using weld-on/bolt-on caliper brackets ?'s

Ole yeller

Amateur Racer
Jun 10, 2008
San Leon TX
you would have to use the whole backing plate but probably wouldnt fit. not sure of any thing that will swap over but some one else might help you on that.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
anyone know where I can get a picture of 3 and 4 bolt axle flanges to see which one I have? Or can you see all four bolts from the view from the inside of the wheel opening without taking the drums off?

And then, does anyone know of any weld on/ bolt-on/ clamp-on caliper brackets that fit a 7.5" rear end, because I don't think I have 3 inch axle tubes?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
What about these?
http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i30.html

They cost considerably more, but they're a bolt-on conversion for the 1LE (F-Body) rear disc brakes... supposedly... I just happened to come across the site. They also offer other caliper brackets (C4/C5/C6, and Z06 variants) to be used with stock G-Body/S-truck/Belltech spindles (mods to spindle though).

http://www.flynbye.com/index.html

DrumBPweb1.jpg

You could also give the rear S10 brakes a shot, I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the exact same though (dwkohout did it on his Cutlass, but he's using a '72 12-bolt, which is why I don't know about the bolt pattern). Barring the bolt pattern issue, bolting the S10 rear discs on should be fairly easy. I don't remember all the details though (plus I'm tired :p), so you may have to get ahold of him for more info.
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38400&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Lookey what I found...

Caliper brackets, bolt on, 10 bolt, 7.5", 3-bolt axle tube flange, metric calipers... exactly what I'm looking for... Circle track racers are wonderful resources....

Here's just the brackets...
http://www.kelleyracingcompany.com/shop/product.php?productid=16168&cat=250&page=1

And here's the whole kit...
http://www.kelleyracingcompany.com/shop/product.php?productid=16214&cat=250&page=1

For pretty much the exact same price (plus tax), you can just go to AutoZone and get the rest of the pieces brand new and under some good warranties, instead of buying the kit...

So pretty much $200 + hoses and a proportioning valve, you too can have a whole rear disc brake setup in about an afternoon using almost all stock parts...

Tell your friends...

Hooray for internet research....

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
yep, same that already come on the front... $22 from AZ without core...

not for sure, just an idea... could you just run a single outlet from your M/C and then split it to front and rear since the calipers and geometry would be the same? OR do you need the rear to be significantly less under hard braking?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Since weight typically transfers to the front under braking, you don't need as much pressure at the rear. I'm not sure how the stock MC is set up, you may run into issues with braking if pressure, etc. is equal between front & rear. You may need to put in a prop. valve for the rear.

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
If you don't want to weld you can get a bolt on kit from speedwaymotors as well.
It comes with all necessary items calipers, brackets, rotors, pads, and hardware. Of course, like any other "bolt on kit", it will need some minor fitting, and some new brake lines.

They list two styles:

7.5" GM NON-EMERGENCY BRAKE CALIPERS
Item #: 91031923
Price: $299.99 KT

7.5" GM EMERGENCY BRAKE CALIPERS
Item #: 91031928
Price: $349.99 KT

A few members have used this kit on their 7.5 rears with success. I used the kit for the 10/12 bolt rear 4 bolt flange pattern (I have Moser Ford Big Bearing weld on housing ends with a 10/12 bolt flange on my 8.5 rear) I ended up welding the brackets on though. They would not work right with the Moser ends because they have the correct flange pattern for the 10/12 bolt flange, but the Ford bearing is a lot bigger than the GM so the bolt on brackets would not clear. But with the stock 7.5 ends the bolt on kit would be fairly easy to install.

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
It looks like this is the kit, I was trying to figure out what I was going to do about the parking brake, and this looks like the answer. I just didn't want to have to track down Cadillac calipers and then use them for cores when the remans cost like $60 alone...
But this kit includes them for only $50 more, so I think I'll just do that...
I did notice that these rotors were a little smaller in diameter than, for example S-10 rear rotors, at 10.75... I'm not sure if this will be a problem in the future when I have to replace them... They may be the same as Cadillac rear rotors though... haven't looked into it yet...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts