Started my swap!

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Started Rather late last night, so not much was done.
The plan is to put a 5.7 LS1 and 700r4 in. Here are the pics so far.
How it started.
DSC00991.jpg

How it ended up.
DSC01003.jpg

Didn't have an engine hoist cuz I forgot to go get it from the guy who borrowed it, but tomorrow it will be out, and the cleanup will begin.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Suscribed :D

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Got the motor and trany out today, and started the cleanup.
2 questions. 1) How can I tell what transmission I have?
2) What accesories are you guys using to run A/C?
DSC01021.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Shape of the trans pan is the easiest way. Check here:

http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/Portals/10/GM-diagrams/GMtranspan-id.jpg

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
It is mocked up. Kinda. 2 Issues.
1) The oil pan hits the K-Member. Solution? I was thinking of putting a 1/4" plate in between the mount and the frame. This would also allow me to move the motor back some, as it seems a little far forward.
2)The compressor does not bolt up. Is there a bracket I am missing, or is there a different style compressor that would work better?

Also, what is everyones opinion on the placement front to back on the motor?

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
OK, a few questions that I should be able to answer...for a/c, heres something that will help you out: http://kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

what motor mounts are you using? I used the lsx ones from transdapt and they sat the motor one inch back, pushing the wiring of the spark plugs into the heater box, easy fix as many have done it but requries a little bit of massaging on the box, a few cuts you know?

Never had a problem with the crossmember hitting the oil pan, but best thing to do would be to use the cts-v pan, but when you do or while you hvae the motor out, you may want to get this: http://www.brphotrods.com/Girdle.html it'll save you when you start more performance. HTH and if theres more I missed lemme know

Otis

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Nope. From a truck. A guy my dad knew wanted the vette pan, so we traded straight up, than the vette pan ended up back in my garage anyway. dancin_banana.gif
Also, should I be more concerned with the motor being level or center?

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Level is def. a plus...you want it level so that way its not torquing to one side or the other more and ends up pulling amotor mount or messing up the trans because its off balanced. What did you mean by centered though? Front to back? Thats a personal preference. Also, I am running a truck pan, no problems minus it being a little low and acting like a snow plow when your in something a bit deep, but besides that, it holds a shet ton more oil, keeps the system good right?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts