Turbo or Supercharger?

DB

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2006
Alabama
I haven't seen the video so I'm not sure what happened. Is it Spiro's old car or new one? Everybody makes mistakes now and then. I redlit in Memphis because I rolled in prestage too deep and when I got on the brake the car rolled forward and blinked the top bulb. I'm still kicking myself in the rear for that because it cost me a trip to the finals. I had Tommy in the F3 car next round who broke a blower belt and coasted across the line, bye run in the 3rd round..that's racing though.

I deep staged in a procharged Mustang 1 time also. Didn't have the rpm's up high enough when I got on the brake and it rocked a bit.

I'm definately not here saying one is better than the other. Just pointing out a lot of things said in this thread about turbo's simply isn't true. Each one requires their own driving style and each have some weaknesses. As far as ease of use, no doubt the blower and n2o are the easiest to just bolt on.

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
DB said:
I haven't seen the video so I'm not sure what happened. Is it Spiro's old car or new one? Everybody makes mistakes now and then. I redlit in Memphis because I rolled in prestage too deep and when I got on the brake the car rolled forward and blinked the top bulb. I'm still kicking myself in the rear for that because it cost me a trip to the finals. I had Tommy in the F3 car next round who broke a blower belt and coasted across the line, bye run in the 3rd round..that's racing though.

I deep staged in a procharged Mustang 1 time also. Didn't have the rpm's up high enough when I got on the brake and it rocked a bit.

I'm definately not here saying one is better than the other. Just pointing out a lot of things said in this thread about turbo's simply isn't true. Each one requires their own driving style and each have some weaknesses. As far as ease of use, no doubt the blower and n2o are the easiest to just bolt on.

I believe it is the old one (single turbo). Thought I saw on Turbo Mustangs his new car is a similar looking Camaro, but with twins and a Chemi.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
I am debating as we speak........Twin 88/92s on my 615 BBC -
I was thinking it might be a great idea to take off most of 2008 and jump ahead of the pack of outlaw drag radial racers and step up the HP a notch
and do away with the juice then add on some twins for 3000HP and a 25.2 cage upgrade...Drag radial is heading towards insanity no reason
I cant help lead the way

:)

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO
DO IT!!! I don't even have this new engine in the car yet and I'm thinking towards next year tearing it down, lowering compression and adding one of those big air sucker/pushers :)

cool

Mar 9, 2008
To me, arguing over what power adder is better is like arguing over what manufacturer is better, Ford or Chevy. Obviously we all know that Chevy takes the cake, but that doesn't mean a Ford can't get the job done. A fast car is a fast car, no matter who's badge it's wearing or how it's making the power. It all works, as long as its set up to do so.

This thread was started for opinions on how to make 500hp with a $4000 budget. My opinion, because Im a LS engine fan, is to get a 5.3 pullout (anywhere from $100-$500), a 65-75mm turbo ($500-$800), Ebay intercooler, BOV and Wastegate ($1000 total if you "buy it now" and get SCREWED), HP Tuners ($ not sure) and some muffler shop piping with some cheap silicone couplers. The stock manifolds get turned around, brackets get fabbed, a little elbow grease and some ingenuity, sooner or later youll be up and running. A decently tuned 5.3 with a 70mm turbo will make 500hp with all the stock parts. Spend $60-$100 on a used ls6 cam, springs and ratainers and you can gain another 80-100hp. Thats 600WHP on a 326ci STOCK MOTOR. Plus that turbo will spool and make full boost by 2800-3000 rpm, right where the torque curve is starting to peak. Add a 3000 stall converter and 4.10 gears and you'd have one wicked street/strip car without so much as a lumpy sounding exhaust.

Just to prove that it can and has been done, go to ls1tech and do a search for Parish. Only problem with his setup is that its in a Ford Fairmont.

A

Anonymous

cool said:
Just to prove that it can and has been done, go to ls1tech and do a search for Parish. Only problem with his setup is that its in a Ford Fairmont.
I was gonna mention that a while ago but I figured if anyone was serious they would have read or known about this car already.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Correct, to the point of the orginal post a turbo in the hands of a DIY is the best bang for the buck

$600.00 S400 75mm
$220.00 JGS BOV 56mm
$360.00 JGS W/G 50mm
$200.00 EV Bonnet

$1380.00 Total for hard parts

A little steel tubing, manifolds, home modded carb, 600 hp is nothing today.
All for less than $2000.00

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
2002wrxsti said:
cool said:
I was gonna mention that a while ago but I figured if anyone was serious they would have read or known about this car already.

What does being serious have anything to do with knowing someone on the internet? It's the people who don't post, who don't pubically display what they're doing that you have to worry about.

A

Anonymous

basketcase said:
What does being serious have anything to do with knowing someone on the internet? It's the people who don't post, who don't pubically display what they're doing that you have to worry about.
Well that car is rather old now and he is looking to get rid of it to start a new project. It has just now gained fame cause HR or what ever mag posted it for all to see. The being serious part is knowing that it can be done and had already seen this car or known of it or others like it that haven't come out yet. Not knowing this from the net.

Heck we made well over 1000HP back in the late 80's or early 90's with a 5.0 Ford engine. Was in the Mustang rags and all that almost right away but not many people where able to pull off stuff like it for a while. I didn't particularly care at that point cause it was just more Ford Junk to me back then.

cool

Mar 9, 2008
[/quote]What does being serious have anything to do with knowing someone on the internet? It's the people who don't post, who don't pubically display what they're doing that you have to worry about.[/quote]

I absolutely agree. Those who keep quiet are usually the ones who pack the biggest punch. I only used this car as an example because it is fairly popular and easy to research. He leaves no secrets under the table, and that car ran low 10's-high-9's without any major "racecar" technology. By no means am I saying that this is the golden setup and everyone should use it, but you certainly cannot deny its effectiveness.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts