Turbo or Supercharger?

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Yeah I have watched the video of Spiro's old car. The few turbo guys that I have been fortunate enough to be around have told me how they stage their cars and it doesnt seem that complicated. Before they turn on any staging bulb at all, they bring the car up to the first rev limit. Then, when they pre-stage they switch to the next limit. From what I have been told, they can sit on this second limit for as long as they need to to allow the other car to stage or play games. Once they fully stage the car they can go right up onto their launch limit within a couple tenths of a second. There are some tricks in the tuning to get this to happen, but the good tuners are on top of this and pretty much have eliminated the long spooling turbo car. Ever watch Tim Lynch run? Its the same pattern that alot of other people are using.

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
im going to through my .02 in here..

im going say turbo. for a coumple reasons.
pros
1 less parasitc loss. mainly due to more exhaust pressure than anything would be lose of hp.
2 tunablity- depending on how you setup the turbo(s) you can have these thing boosting at idle or not come on till 3000-3500 or what ever rpm.
3 boost adjustablity see reason #2

cons
1 cost.. outside of the turbo you need wastegate, BOV, tubeing both intake and exhaust,
2 weight.. if that is and issue..

bottom line is you can make anything happen on the cubic dallor. running wiht dieselnut for the last year i have fallen in love with the turbo whistle and the power it can give. i have drawn up plans for a TT setup on my wagon that i can hit 600-700hp with and single turbo as well.

centrifugal SC imo is basicly the same as a turbo just belt driven....

malibujoel

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2005
Plymouth , MI
I raced a fast grand national on the highway the other day and all I know is that when my pedal goes to the floor my procharger hits instant boost and I'm gone before the GN had time to spool up. Maybe with a transbrake off the line he could win but I could beat him at a role even if he had an extra 100hp on me. My car feels like a slingshot when I mash the gas. Theres no way a turbo could compete off a role. In the 2 seconds for spooling a turbo the procharger just explodes with instant power and is gone.

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
malibujoel said:
I raced a fast grand national on the highway the other day and all I know is that when my pedal goes to the floor my procharger hits instant boost and I'm gone before the GN had time to spool up. Maybe with a transbrake off the line he could win but I could beat him at a role even if he had an extra 100hp on me. My car feels like a slingshot when I mash the gas. Theres no way a turbo could compete off a role. In the 2 seconds for spooling a turbo the procharger just explodes with instant power and is gone.
honestly it depened on how hte turbo is setup and when it is tune to spool.

even with my dmax i cruise ~2-5psi worth of boost ~ 60mph... i mash the pedal and down shift im doing 25-30psi.. granted it is alot fast that stock setup...

depending on how he has the turbo setup depics turbo lag and spool time

A

Anonymous

Im new to this forum. But I need to put in my 2 cents. A supercharger belongs on a Mud truck. Ive never had any luck with a supercharger you spend 4000+ dollars on a kit then you want to run more boost then you have to buy a pulley and then you start scratching your head at 5000 rpm because your boost is dropping. Im no stranger to a sbc but the past four years ive been building 5,6,7,800hp 2.4 four cylinders. using a GT45 turbo. Yes lag is there but you work arround it . Has anybody heared of ANTI LAG. Yes its for efi cars but you can do it with a retard box with a carb. i have a T70 on my 2.0 eclipse and it spools at 3500rpm and i put one on a fox with a 5.0 and its at full spool at 1900rpm. On my eclipse im running a 50hp shot if NOS NO LAG. Remember turbo car loves nos on the dyno my 50hp shot brought me 94hp because its a liquid intercooler. not trying to ruffle any feathers but in my book turbo is the way to go. And on my personal cars i run knock off turbo parts and had nothing but good luck with them. if you have welder grinder and know how to use them you can hand build a set up under 2000. 2 60trims with a 3500 stall in a small block and 25psi on a sticky track will rip the rubber off the track with the back bumper... Oh if you want less or more boost YOU do not have to buy anything just turn the boost controller

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
bottom line boost lag is more noticable on a turbo than SC or blower. and there are numrerous ways to eliminate/reduce them.

A

Anonymous

lag shouldn't even be considered an issue. if your turbo is sized properly it will not have any lag. also when a turbo spools, it is at max boost and makes more power under the curve due to boost not being rpm dependant. too many people here are thinking about full on drag cars that they've seen that have to use a two step to spool, there are lots, and i do mean lots of fast turbo street cars out there that make instant boost when you mash the loud pedal.

malibujoel

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2005
Plymouth , MI
I have had experience with both a novi 1000 and my current d1sc. The novi sucked, it made all its power above 4,000 rpm. This newer procharger d1sc has a better impeller design that makes boost over the while rpm range. I have a 3000 rpm converter so I am making full boost whenever the pedal is down instantly. I have even seen people with a wastegate on a supercharged vehicle to relieve boost for street use and pump gas. Then when they want to play they fill up some high octane race fuel and bump up the boost with a boost controller from inside the car. There is also the heat consideration, I can put my hand on my self contained superchargers outlet after driving the car, try that on a turbo.

A

Anonymous

Well did you know you have to use power to make power. And did you know you are using that Drag all the time, if you use it on the street that is more fuel your burning out the wallet. And for heat no if you put your hand on a supercharger it wont burn but go make a good pass and then put your hand on the header. The turbo uses heat and pressure to make the power. its called an intercooler.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts