Vibration / Rear Main Seal leak on brand new engine.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I'm not saying the bill is unreasonable, I just wasnt prepared to spend that much. He said the cam is "flaking", I'm not real sure what thats about but I will ask him when I go in today.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
If it ran with no pilot bushing/bearing make sure you check the input shaft and especially the input shaft bearing in the trans. I always run an old school stock type bronze pilot bushing versus the roller bearing type. The bushings will not damage the input shaft if it wears out. A bearing will destroy the input shaft when it goes bad. I also am not totally convinced that the lack of the pilot bushing caused all of the engine damage. That should have had a vibrating issue from the very beginning. The clutch should have had issues as well. Lee

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I have a brand new trans for the car, so that is not an issue. I was going to go the bushing route as well. I also thought it was odd that the engine didnt have a vibration at first either. I went to the shop today and looked at the motor all torn down and the cam bearings were SHOT. The one I felt had a really deep groove in it, it looked awful. He said because of the main bearing damage that oil wasnt getting up to the cam anymore and it was getting hot. Maybe the engine had a vibration I just didnt notice at the beginning? Even when the vibration became noticeable to me nobody else who rode in the car could tell.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
so the theory is that the lack of a pilot bushing caused the clutch disc to be offset, causing a vibration, which wiped the main bearings, which caused lack of oil to the top end, wiping the cam bearings and lobes as well?

How many hours was it run?

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Correct. And it makes sense to me. Hours are countless. It probably had around over a thousand miles on it. Not even a month.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I would be curious to know what the clearances were on the rods and mains when the engine was built. I would think that the missing pilot bushing would have wiped out the trans and clutch long before it hurt the motor.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Clearances are the difference between the inside diameter of the bearings when torqued and the diameter of the rod and main journals on the crankshaft. In other words, the crank journals would be slightly smaller than the I.D. of the bearings. Roughly .0015 to .003 depending on the engine and the engine builder. If there is too much clearance the oil pressure could be low and in extreme cases the engine could possibly knock. If there is too little clearance it could score or spin a bearing. Your bearings have the babbitt worn down to the copper base. I'm not insinuating that the clearances were too tight, just wondering. Lee

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
ohh okay I see what you're saying. Well I'll ask him a little more about why the bearing wore the way it did. This may be irrelevant information but I dont have an oil pressure gauged hooked up 24/7 but upon start-up I hooked up one in the engine bay and it had like 70 psi.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
70 PSI cold or hot? By the way, I would suggest you get an oil pressure gauge in the car, it's kind of important.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts