Vibration / Rear Main Seal leak on brand new engine.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I will try, I am away at school until the weekend. I may be able to get him to come over but I am going to tinker with it some more and make sure the noise is NOT the exhaust banging against bellhousing and is actually from the engine itself.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
No video yet because I cant keep the car running long enough but I've got good news. I don't think the issue is anything internal. I tried to start the engine today and it wouldnt even run and kept backfiring out of the carb. Even though I hadnt messed with the timing since it was running last I decided to turn the distributor counter clockwise (retard the timing?) and I got it to fire up. It still ran very rough and stalled if I let off the gas. The backfiring got worse under load and I think it the clanking noise I thought was a rod knock was actually an exhaust backfire of some-sort. I'm going to replace a wire i burnt through and the cap and rotor as well for starters. I wish I could say what the timing figure is at but I've never had the right balancer and the timing mark always ends up at 12'oclock way off the timing marker. Perhaps i should get timing tape.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
oh my GOD. It looks like I had the 2 and 4 wires swapped. Except now that I've swapped them back I am still having the same issue with the backfiring. I hope I did not do any permanent damage. I can't believe I had them switched and the engine still ran like it did.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
When you checked the timing did you have the vacuum line disconnected (and plugged)? If not it will always read wrong if you're checking with a light.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Although I forgot to last time, it seems to always read way too high. I've replaced the cap and rotor to make sure there's no issue there and the car runs the same. I can't seem to adjust the timing in either direction to get the backfiring to go away. I wonder if i have a faulty lifter?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I had some minor, occasional backfiring on the 305 in the '81, turned out #1 intake lobe was slightly scrubbed. I drove it like that for the next year or so though, it never went flat and I never had to adjust it. On a side note I also managed to even knock down 21mpg with that thing :shock: I'm not saying it's the cam, it's just the experience I had. I also had the same thing happen with an '85 2.8L S10, also with some bad lobes.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Here's a video of the backfiring. It's constant. The engine won't idle.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Chill/?action=view&current=MOV05166.mp4

God I hope its not the cam....

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Okay more progress, more frustration. I pulled the valve cover off yesterday to find that the polylock on the rocker arm was completely off. My machinist came by to re-install it and check all of the other polylocks. Tried to start the car again and it still backfires out of the carburetor, however not as frequently and now it is actually creating FLAMES at the carburetor. I can't get the car to start and have looked over the distributor/wires/etc multiple times. I just took the carb off to clean it and there's no real difference.

I'm running a Quadrajet and wondering if anything could be damaged from the backfiring? I am at my wits end with this car. I still think my issue is timing related but I checked the spark on each cylinder and it seemed fine.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Now it sounds like the distributor is just not timed correctly to start the car. If you don't think the damper matches the timing cover, you really need to index the damper to the timing cover so you can properly time the engine.

Follow the advice in this thread and see if it sorts out the issue.

http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101372

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Okay I will try that in a second. I'm not getting a backfire anymore but I still can't get the car started. It just cranks and cranks. I just replaced the spark plugs and the coil with no real changes to the situation. Is there something I'm missing here.....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts