What did U do to your G-body today??

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I bought a new battery charger and tried charging up the Elk. It didn't work. I'll have to get a new battery. It bugs me this is the second bad Interstate Battery. The Interstate Battery I had before these 2 was in the Elk for 10 years. The only thing that could use the voltage is the clock.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I bought a new battery charger and tried charging up the Elk. It didn't work. I'll have to get a new battery. It bugs me this is the second bad Interstate Battery. The Interstate Battery I had before these 2 was in the Elk for 10 years. The only thing that could use the voltage is the clock.
I used to undo the negative cable if the car was going to sit for any length of time. When I got tired of disconnecting the battery to keep it from dying, I finally installed a battery cut off switch. It is much easier to turn off the battery, now, and the battery lasts a lot longer. I have a digital clock in the radio, which is a slow drain. I never tried to see if there is any other parasitic losses.

I made a bracket and mouted it to the inside of the right fender, behind the battery, just below the hood line. I need to redo it because the hood lightly touches the bracket. I don't have any pictures, but will see about putting some up another time.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I forgot to mention that I also tried one of those disconnects with a knob that attaches to the battery terminal. It was a failure. There is so little contact with that device that it would arc and then have too much resistance to connect. After being fed up with it not connecting, I threw it out. Don't bother trying one of those things.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I got my new battery on warranty and put it in the Elk. It turned over for a while, getting gas to the carburetor. It ran great. It has been about a month since it was last started.

Reactions: melloelky

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I used to undo the negative cable if the car was going to sit for any length of time. When I got tired of disconnecting the battery to keep it from dying, I finally installed a battery cut off switch. It is much easier to turn off the battery, now, and the battery lasts a lot longer. I have a digital clock in the radio, which is a slow drain. I never tried to see if there is any other parasitic losses.

I made a bracket and mouted it to the inside of the right fender, behind the battery, just below the hood line. I need to redo it because the hood lightly touches the bracket. I don't have any pictures, but will see about putting some up another time.
I took a picture of the switch and bracket. You can see a mark on the top of the bracket, towards the front, where the hood has been touching the bracket.

I inserted 2 nutserts into the fender to mount the bracket, using an existing hole. There are 2 sleeves inside the bracket so the bolts can be tightened without collapsing the bracket.

20200925_170623.jpg

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I took the Elk out for a drive. It ran fine. The speedometer didn't work right. Going slow it was at 15 miles an hour. When I stepped on the gas it bounced up to 35 or 40 and fell back to the 15 or 20 without slowing down. I'll have to take it apart and see what's going on.