Wheel Spacers

Has anybody here used wheel spacers?? If so, did you use the kind with the studs in them, or the kind with just the holes. And if you used the kind with just the holes, did you use longer studs and where did you get them?? Thank all. Finally bought some 17's for the wagon, But I may need to use spacers to get them to fit just right.

85_SS

Dragway Regular
Aug 13, 2004
www.cardomain.com
I have used 5/16" spacers (holes only), the other kind are usually referred to as adapters. I did not get longer studs as the wheels I used them on took a shanked lug nut thus I still grabbed plenty of thread - about an inch or so. There is a rule of thumb for how much thread you should be grabbing, but I can't recall off hand.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
85_SS said:
There is a rule of thumb for how much thread you should be grabbing, but I can't recall off hand.

I have heard that if you have at least 3 full threads engaged you have the full strength of the fastener, but from a purely technical point of view it depends on thread pitch, daimeter, fastener material, thickness of material being clamped, etc. The NHRA wants to see the studs come out the end of open lugnuts. I just don't remember what index you have to be in to require open lug nuts.

Tommy

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
LS6 Tommy said:
85_SS said:
There is a rule of thumb for how much thread you should be grabbing, but I can't recall off hand.

I have heard that if you have at least 3 full threads engaged you have the full strength of the fastener, but from a purely technical point of view it depends on thread pitch, daimeter, fastener material, thickness of material being clamped, etc. The NHRA wants to see the studs come out the end of open lugnuts. I just don't remember what index you have to be in to require open lug nuts.

Tommy

Don't have to come out of the end with open lugs for NHRA, they want to see the stud extend at least half way into the head of the lugnut, shank alone won't take the cake.

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
The rule of thumb I've heard is engagement depth should be roughly equal to the diameter of the stud.

You really should be getting different studs for a couple reasons. There's the obvious reason with thread engagement. But also, you don't know what that factory stud has been subjected to. It could be ready to break at any time, and with the spacers, you just increased the load it has to deal with. Aftermarket studs that are longer, and a higher quality steel, would be a wise investment.

Good Luck!

liquidh8

Pro Stocker
now the question is, where do I get longer studs for the front rotors. I have a spacer/adapter for the rear, that should put me right where I want. I find out in a week or so. But the fron will need more backspacing the the rear, hence just using the spacers with the holes, maybe 1/2 inch or so. El coolmino, in the Air Force the rule is there should be stud exposed that is equal to the diameter of the stud. So you have to have threads sticking out past the nut, equal to the diameter of the bolt/stud. Just curious here what people have used. The lugs I will be using are the acorn style, but I I don't get a longer stud with a 1/2 to 9/16 spacer, I don't think I 'll have that many threads sticking through to catch. Thanx for all the replys.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Liquid,
Which wheels did you end up getting?
Jack :?:

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
i need some new spacers, ran into a pinch last year, and had to cut the mounting flange off of an ls1 car rotor..

liquidh8

Pro Stocker
longroof, I got the bullit style wheels, They grey powdercoated center, silver, whatever, and the polished machined lip. I was gonna buy em BN, but an old guy bought an s-10 and put the whole set-up on ebay for a buy it now for 250 bucks, they were only on for about 2 hours so i bought them. They should be here in a week or so. Here is a link to the pics.
2171381_61_full.jpg

2171381_62_full.jpg

What do you guys think. You can see pics of the car now at my cardomain site. I'll updating it in a few days again.

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
My engagement rule is what I've heard as a minimum engagement. The air force's rule is obviously based on aircraft and that's a whole different level of safety.

Personally, I think you're gonna want some custom hub-centric spacers for the front. Rears have a lot less load, and don't have to steer.

Should be a cool looking setup though! Good Luck!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!