255/60/15 more fitment quesstions

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
sorry to bump a semi-old thread but I didnt want to make a new thread over the same topic. I just purchased some 15x8 cragars with 4.00 inch backspacing for my el camino and after test fitting I'm kind of sweating over whether I'm going to be able to put a 255 tire on them and have clearance.

here's pictures.
cragars005.jpg

cragars001.jpg

cragars002.jpg

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
no worries, dude. rims always look like they poke out too far until you get tires on 'em. it's an optical illusion created by the inward curvature of the quarter panel as it sweeps inward to the rocker panel. if you place a plumb-bob at the top of the wheelwell lip(with the car laterally level) & dangle it down in front of the rim, you'll see that the rim is well inside the wheelwell. you could go as big as a 275 60 without too much trouble. ;)

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
MEGABU said:
no worries, dude. rims always look like they poke out too far until you get tires on 'em. it's an optical illusion created by the inward curvature of the quarter panel as it sweeps inward to the rocker panel. if you place a plumb-bob at the top of the wheelwell lip(with the car laterally level) & dangle it down in front of the rim, you'll see that the rim is well inside the wheelwell. you could go as big as a 275 60 without too much trouble. ;)
haha well what im worried about is the inside clearance near the frame and what not. I dont want to be rubbing on the inside I mean. I actually hope these stick out a little further than the stock wheels did because they were too tucked for my taste.

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
oh, sorry :lol: . in that case, i still don't think you'll have any problems, but with a 255, you could return those & get a pair with 3.5" bs, that'll gaurantee they'll have that wide look you want. although you could do a 3/8" spacer too, if clearance is an issue.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
yeah I'll do a spacer if it turns out to be a problem because these wheels are way too heavy to be repackaging and shipping back. #-o had to go steel...it was the cheapest!

is a 3/8s spacer okay to run on stock studs? or should I be looking into longer studs.

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
always go longer with spacers. they're cheap & not too hard to replace. get you some longer lugnuts too.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts