267 V8 Problem

Shawn F.

Amateur Racer
Jan 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I have a 1980 El Camino with a 4.4 Liter 267 V8 and TH350 transmission. I rebuilt the original 2 barrel carb and put it on, hooked all the original vacuum lines up since they were rotted and blocked off by the PO. I just got the car not too long ago and only drove it straight to my house and then started tearing it apart because of a major ant problem I had. Other than that I just start it to move it around the driveway and garage, that's it. Even then I have probably only started it a total of 20 times ever. It used to always smoke on startup because of bad valve seals I guess but would stop after a minute or so. Now it's been sitting a week or more and I just put the carb back on, started it and it smokes (white smoke) like crazy and wont stop. I only let it run for a few minutes because it filled the garage with smoke and then it filled the room just inside the garage with smoke.
Not sure what to do here or what it could be? Also seems to be running VERY rich and smell of gas and oil out the tail pipe even with the carb rebuilt, cleaned and gone through.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
This is kinda' a long shot but is one of the vacuum lines that you hooked up that was previously blocked to the EGR valve? I had a '79 back when that would smoke a little on startup but when the EGR valve went bad it would smoke like CRAZY on startup for minutes instead of seconds.

jays81malibu

Weekend Racer
Jan 18, 2005
London, Ontario, Canada
I really don't know your climate, but you could have just got a lot of condensation in the exhaust after not running it for a week, and if it was a cold morning that wouldn't help either. If your EGR is stuck open it's going to run like a dog and won't like to idle.

Did you set the carb back up properly? Readjust the idle air screws? Was the choke still on?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Is it smoke, or water vapor?

Tommy

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Check the transmission modulaor vaccum line at the intake for trans fluid. When the modulator goes bad the motor vaccum will suck fluid from the trans, That maybe whats cousing it to smoke.

Shawn F.

Amateur Racer
Jan 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. To answer some questions, I hooked up the EGR stuff but I believe it was hooked up before. The transmission modulator valve, is this the hard line I see coming from the transmission area up the firewall and into the back of the intake right behind the carb? If so then it's screwed into the intake and there is a vacuum line coming from the same connection that is not hooked up but I have no clue where it goes?
As for the smell it is a bit sweet but smells like oil and gas badly. I am hoping it isn't a cracked head or head gasket but it possibly could be. Maybe it's time to stop throwing money at this engine and sell the car or finish this 355 I have sitting in the garage.
I have a 355 short block (was complete before I tore it down because of the junk emissions heads) with about 100 miles on it or so but now I need new heads, a smaller cam, carb, oil pump and pan, fuel pump, etc. Doing this swap will cost more money than I have. I have pretty much put all the money I had left into this car trying to get it ready for my daily driver and one thing pops up right after another. I even have a low mileage TH350 put away as well but I just do not know what to do at this point.
Building this 355 will take quite a bit I am sure and then I still have the small stuff that adds up like wires, HEI dissy, gaskets, flywheel, balancer, etc. I do have a Holley Street Dominator intake that I could use but that's about it. #-o
Anyways, in a few days I will have to check the car out when it's outside. We got some snow and ice here so my driveway is covered in it but once it melts I will check it out.
Thanks again guys!

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
DOUG213XRJ said:
Check the transmission modulaor vaccum line at the intake for trans fluid. When the modulator goes bad the motor vaccum will suck fluid from the trans, That maybe whats cousing it to smoke.
Hey, Yes thats the modulator vaccum line. Disconnect the line at the intake and see if theres any trans fluid any where.

Shawn F.

Amateur Racer
Jan 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
BTW, in case this engine is bad then I posted a Wanted section to finish this 355. http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=91992&p=697113#p697113
Please let me know if you guys have any of these parts your looking to get rid of.
Thanks!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts