Escalade motors

A

Anonymous

I just wanted to clarify a few things in this thread. First the LSX is a code the aftermarket has used to describe the GM Gen III and Gen IV small bock V8 engines. This code or term is not completely correct because not all Gen III and Gen IV engine use a LS for the first part of the RPO code. The reason I brining this up is because GM has just released the REAL “LSX” block and it will be out in March of 07. This new block called the “LSX block” will be a cast iron street/race block that came withstand up to 2500 Horse power and live. This block can be purchased for around $2000. It can also be bored and stroked to over 500 CI. GM will also release a cylinder head to go along with this block in the very near future.

To address another question about why someone would remove a LS1 and install a 6.0 L from an Escalade, LQ9 engine. Because an LS1 is an aluminum block and the LQ9 is a cast iron block, much stronger. The LS1 is only 5.7 L and the LQ9 is a 6.0 L. The stroke is the same but the bore is bigger on the LQ9, 4.000 bore on the LQ9.

To clarify the information about the new L92 engine in the escalade. This engine is used only in the 07 Escalade or 07 GMC Denali. It is a little different that the LQ9 engine GM used in the pass Escalades and Denali. The L92 is a 6.2 L aluminum block and new cylinders head that will bolt on any Gen III or Gen IV small block. The heads on this engine are unreal for the price. These heads to flow 330 CFM on the intake side and you can buy them complete for less than $400 each. What head can you buy for any engine that will flow 330 CFM for $400?

As to expense to build one of these engines. May people, and I will be in this group in the near future, have produced over 1000 HP with a stock cast iron 6.0 block, stock cast crank and stock cylinder heads with a turbo. These engine need CNC work on the head, rods, pistons and a camshaft change to get to this level.

If you wanted to do a little research take a look at the past issues of Popular Hotrodding. I think that ran this article about 14 months ago on a turbo Gen III small block. They used a stock cast iron block, 4.0 stroke crank, dart heads, camshaft change and a t88/98 turbo. This engine made over 1100 hp at less than 15 pounds of boost. : )

The Gen III small block is the hot rod engine of the future. I believe this engine will take over the Drag Race seen in the future.

Sorry for the long post.

mightymouse0355

Pro Stocker
Oct 24, 2005
atco, new jersey
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
mightymouse0355 said:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$ only applies to certain types of LS-based builds. If you compare an apples-to-apples build between a conventional small block, and a basic carb'd LS-based engine, I don't think you'd spend much more money at all, and the LS-based engines make conventional small blocks (and some big blocks) truly look as obsolete as they are. Now, that doesn't mean I think that everybody should just go out and stab an LS1 or whatever in their cars... BUT, if a person has a decent budget to work with, a conventional small block is a complete waste of time and money for certain applications. You can pick up a nice, low mileage LQ9 long block for $1,300-$1,500 around here. Stab the right cam in it, install a carb intake, and a 6LS ignition controller, and you should have an engine that will easily eclipse the 500 h.p. mark on cheap gas, and you could realistically spend a total of less than $4,000 for a carb-to-pan deal, including the original purchase price of the long block. Now, let's say you needed to bore that LQ9 you just bought. Wiseco, among others, has affordable forged pistons for these engines. Scat and Eagle have affordable H-beam rods. Guess what? You now have a short block that will handle 1,000 h.p. TEA will run their CNC program on the 317 heads for around $500.00. Horsepower is so easy to make with these engines that it is ridiculous, and they just aren't as expensive as everybody thinks if you stick with a carbureted version. If you've got a hook up at a Chevy dealer, you can get into the L92 heads for less than $200 each. That's a 330 cfm head! In terms of carbureted engines, the ONLY components that are significantly more money than comparable SBC parts are the intake manifold and studs for the heads & mains (if a person chose to go that route). A cam is only about $50-$70 more than a comparable SBC roller cam, the 6LS is only about $60-$80 more than an MSD 6AL, rods and pistons are the same money, etc., etc. Trans-Dapt has an adapter kit that allows an LS-based block to be easily bolted into an early chassis. Hughes (among others) has a flexplate and crank pilot adapter that allows you to use a TH-350, TH-400, or 'Glide with a conventional converter behind these engines. In many cases, #'s 1 & 5 and #'s 2 & 6 cylinders will line up in terms of port location on the headers, so with a few bends and some flanges, headers aren't even that difficult or expensive, as SBC headers can be modified in many cases. Even Schoenfeld has LS headers for the metric clip that aren't a lot of money. While the SBC will likely never be completely replaced, I think that as time goes on, the LS engine family is going to be undeniable force that would be completely ignorant to ignore when considering a new engine build for your ride, and will make spending any kind of money on building a small block look completely foolish. As for me, I'm building a good old over-cammed big block with heads that have waayyy too much runner volume that will probably be a pig and make me wish I had really listened to myself when I sang this praise of the LS engine. :lol:

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
Do you know the part # for the L92 heads, and what about the valvesprings, are they as good as the Z06 based beehive valvespring? I have an LS1 from a 98 Trans-Am that I am dying to put inside a G-body.

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
we are about tp pick up a whole motor for 1200. thats coils, brackets everything... has like 20k on it. not to expensive if you ask me. was gonna build a 5.7 ls1 but i'm gonna nned to build a bigger motor sometime so why not now right?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Deuce4935 said:
Do you know the part # for the L92 heads, and what about the valvesprings, are they as good as the Z06 based beehive valvespring? I have an LS1 from a 98 Trans-Am that I am dying to put inside a G-body.

I could be wrong, but I believe the L92 heads may only fit the LS2. I need to do some more reading myself, but it's worth the research (if you haven't looked into that aspect yet) before buying them. I plan to go with an LS series motor + T56 myself in my 'Bu.

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
Doober said:
Deuce4935 said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the L92 heads may only fit the LS2. I need to do some more reading myself, but it's worth the research (if you haven't looked into that aspect yet) before buying them. I plan to go with an LS series motor + T56 myself in my 'Bu.

Requires a 4.00" bore or bigger. LS1 can't go that big w/o sleeves.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts