lowering question

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
im gunna be running 275-60-15s on my 81 elco and was wondering if anybody has lowered their rear with this size tire. i was thinking 1.5 - 2 inches? and the same for up front but i have skinnies up there. any pics/info. thanks joe

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Here you go

ElCamino51.jpg

ElCamino50.jpg

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
it is the Intrax springs front and rear (kit is for a grand national). supoosed to be 1.8" front and rear. I had to cut the front some but my camino had a glass hood, no heater box/ contols and I had lightened the rad. support. You could save some money, cut a coil to a coil and a half off of the stock front springs and just buy the bell-tech rears that are a 1.5" drop.
Rears are 275/ 60-15 on a 7" rim with 3.5" backspacing. stock width rear end. fronts are 215/65-15 on a 5"rim. rears would rub over big bumps not on the inner or on the outer lip...but up further in the quarter. Only on one side, and only on big bumps.

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
alright, thanks a lot, i was lookin to just cut the fronts and buy rears anyways. i have a complete glass front(hood and fenders) and alum heads so ill have to cut till it looks good i guess, thanks again!

Yes, that thing is sexy. Regret selling mine as time goes on. :cry:

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I miss it.....but it was time to move on. The car was not that nice. It photographs amazing, but it was a rot box to start with.
Had to repair the rear frame horns

Did all new floors...but on a fresh out of college budget (at the time back in 2001) I just bought sheet and made them myself (with some beadrolls for good measure). The body had patch panels everywhere. All of which were hand made because the budget didn't allow for buying new panels. There was bondo in the rear sails!

It was a faithful 13 second street strip car for me for years (bought it in 1999), but as I was building a new motor to go faster, I realized it would never be any nicer than a low buck street strip car. It was time to move on and start with a clean solid car...even if it was ugly and faded (my wagon)

When I went to scrape a seasons worth of rubber from the rear wheel well, the entire section from the bed floor down to the rear quarter came off with the rubber! It wasn't worth it to me to start and do manual steering/ manual brakes/ cage/ fuel cell/ battery relocation/ etc on a car that had that was that rough to start with.

Sold it rolling with the trans/ converter/ 12 bolt/ southside kit for $2000. That person took the 12 bolt/ southside kit/ rear springs and shocks/ The hood/ the front shocks / rims and tires out for another project. Threw stock stuff back in it and resold it for I think about 1500. The second owner gave it new doors, a lowrider paintjob, stuck a mild 350 in it and I saw it for sale around Christmas time for $4000. The add said solid body!!!!!

I loved that car, and had a blast with it. I will have another one, but I will start with a cleaner car. I did love the color combo and stance and do plan on painting my wagon that color.

Thank you for the nice words on the car

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts