manual brake conversion

foxz

Frequent Racer
Jun 23, 2006
british columbia canada eh
riceca said:
If you are running disc brakes in the rear you dont have to do anything because the master is setup for disc/disc. But if you have drum brakes like I do you need to add a 10lbs residual (sp?) valve. Other than that it is a bolt it. You have to use the supplied fitting that come with the master for the brake lines. Not had just part of it. All you have to do is cut your old lines and put the new fittings on and re-flare the lines. It is really an easy install. I had a little more complication because I added the line lock at the same time. But still easy.

lata
CHRIS

well i alrady have my line lock in on the old set up..so is it still straight farward?? just conenct to the lines all the same as it is now>?

riceca

Amateur Racer
Apr 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yeah. All you have to do is drill one hole in your pedal arm to get the stroke where it needs to be. EASY! Bolt in operation!

lata
CHRIS

wessonracing

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2007
Gardendale, AL
I have one of the Steel Concepts kits on the way. Do you still use the stock proportioning valve with this kit?

Jimmy

foxz

Frequent Racer
Jun 23, 2006
couple more questions. I will be having drums in the back...what is the valve you need to put the pressure down where do you put it?? and will this work with stoc porportioning valve?

wessonracing

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2007
Gardendale, AL
I have mine running through the stock proportion valve. I put a 10LB residual pressure valve straight out of master cylinder that runs the rear brakes, and then to the stock prop valve. The brakes work fine although the pedal is quite firm.

Jimmy

foxz

Frequent Racer
Jun 23, 2006
wessonracing said:
I have mine running through the stock proportion valve. I put a 10LB residual pressure valve straight out of master cylinder that runs the rear brakes, and then to the stock prop valve. The brakes work fine although the pedal is quite firm.

Jimmy
the firm doesnt bother me long as it stops good ha

wessonracing

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2007
Gardendale, AL
It wouldn't bother me if I was the only one driving it but my 16 year old daughter races it and she doesn't have the leg strength I do. So far it hasn't been a problem I plan on putting better brakes on it soon, that is before we go to any tracks with a short shut down area.

Jimmy

wessonracing

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2007
Gardendale, AL
I haven't tried to hit them real hard they seem to stop the car fine it just takes a good bit of pedal pressure. It is not hard like when a power booster goes out just harder than I remember manual brakes. My other daughter runs a S-10 with the same master cylinder but with 4 wheel disc and the pedal is not near as hard. I hope when I go with the rear disc the pedal gets a little more feel to it.I have never ran one with a residual valve and stock proportion valve. I keep thinking it may be better if I put the residual valve after the prop valve. I am not sure but I am open to suggestions.

Jimmy

onefastbu

Frequent Racer
Mar 14, 2007
Dayton,Ohio
wessonracing said:
It wouldn't bother me if I was the only one driving it but my 16 year old daughter races it and she doesn't have the leg strength I do. So far it hasn't been a problem I plan on putting better brakes on it soon, that is before we go to any tracks with a short shut down area.

Jimmy

sounds to me like you have the rod going from the pedal to the master cylinder installed wrong.........

when i first did mine years back i took the power brake booster off,, and made my own two holes between the factory holes that held the booster,, figuring that you wanted the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder straight ..."HOW WRONG WAS I " pedal was so hard to push... (was a lil dumber back then)
now what i have is the master cylinder (factory manual brake master cylinder)bolted to the top two factory holes and the brake rod moved up to the top hole in the brake pedal arm and the pedal is great and stopped my car from 145mph last year ... stock front brakes and Aerospace rear disc brakes .........

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!