Narrowing the bumpers

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
It's looks good, man. Have you also eliminated the fillers? I'd like to do mine in the near future. The front is pretty much the same, but the rear is a different animal, being a wagon.
Thanks for the info and posting pics in your thread.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
no, keep the fillers and trim them to fit. without the fillers it looks like there is something missing.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Betcha618 said:
no, keep the fillers and trim them to fit. without the fillers it looks like there is something missing.
=========================================================================
Thanks for your suggestions. Did you have to trim the fillers in order to fit behind the bumpers?
I know what you mean about it appearing like something is missing without the fillers. Good point.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
yea had to trim the same amount of the fillers i did off the bumpers pretty much, maybe a little less. trim a little bit at a time and keep test fitting because once you cut too much, you cant put it back.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks man! As they say, "measure twice, cut once". :)

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I figured it was long overdue ,and time that I post my own progress. Thanks to you guys for the inspiration.
MVC-823S.jpg

MVC-822S.jpg

MVC-821S.jpg

MVC-825S.jpg

MVC-807S.jpg

MVC-808S.jpg

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Wow......great job!! Looks as it should have been from the start. Looks like you didn't need the front fillers. Dosen't look like anythings missing at all. Nice fab job!! Chrome or paint?

Steve

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks Steve,
It would be nice to properly chrome them like you did, but I'm thinking of chrome paint...or just body color. Still undecided.
I was pretty impressed with the chrome paint method. Of course I'll have to research it further.
I am planning on painting the car Cool Vanilla. Kinda stay in the white/ off-white family.
As for the fillers. I just had it with them. It's been my plan for the past 7-8 yrs to narrow the bumpers and eliminate the fillers. I actually added metal to the bumper corners to add some contour where the fillers would have "filled in" or closed the gap. Also, I took out 1 1/4" from both sides.
Your car looks absolutely beautiful in that color with the chrome bumpers..and I like the subtle, almost stock appearance. Very nicely done job.

Jack

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts