• Comp Cams 240H with 1.52/1.52 rockers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
80ECLT,

Ok, I'll bite, how did you know that I'll need different valve covers if I run 1.6 rockers???
:lol:
I agree about the cost of parts. Between the cost of parts and the feeling that I might have done better mileage wise with a larger motor, I think I'd be tempted to run a 305 if I was starting over. Still, its fun being different, and the lighter weight makes life a lot easier when one runs manual steering. :?

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
They wont clear the studs and poly locks if you run roller rockers. If you run stamped 1.6's you will be ok. But you will still need to drill out the pushrod holes to clear the offset pushrod angle.

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
80ECLT,

Where does one get 3.32 rear gears for a 7.5in rear end? All I've seen are 3.23 and 3.42.

I know what you mean about overdrives, and there is a T5 in my future plans. The only thing is I wanted to get the new cam in first so that I could be certain of what I want to do about the rear gear. At the moment I'm debating between a 3.08, a 3.23 and a 3.42 with a Camaro V8 T5. The idea is for 4th gear to be useful for around town driving (minimum 30mph) and 5th to work as a slightly higher highway gear.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
OOPS I meant 3.23! Like the ones I have.

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
80ECLT,

Ok, you have me a little confused. I understand that I will need taller valve covers if I go for 1.6 ratio roller valve covers because of the machined studs and poly locks that I need to use to run "roller" rockers. Does this refer to Comp Magnum roller tip rocker arms with grooved pivot balls as well as Comp Pro Magnum roller rocker arms that have needle bearing fulcrums? Am I right to presume that I will have to run a taller than stock valve cover whether I run the Comp Magnum Roller Tips in 1.52/1.52 or 1.52/1.60 form?

T5MalibuWagon

Dragway Regular
Sep 27, 2004
Fort Worthless TEXAS!
I think that the need for the taller valve covers has to do with the use of poly locks and not the ratio. I wouldnt think that you would need to change valve covers with the roller tiped 1.6.

I would also go with at least the 3.42's, I know that my 98 pickup with a 4.3 and 5 speed had those from the factory and if I dad my way I would put in 3.73's. I also think that fifth is a little lower in that transmission vs. a v8 t5. If I was you and had a .63 fifth that I would look at 3.73's or even 3.90's, just my opinion.

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
80ECLT,

Just looked at pics of your engine buildup and I think I understand about polylocks and the need for taller valve covers. The one question that I do have is what are you going to do for valve covers? I've just looked at the Summit online catelog and the only aftermarket valve covers for 4.3 V6s I've found are all stock height. Have you found some place that sells taller valve covers, or are you going to make/modify your own?

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
One company makes taller VC for 325$... I think I am going to take 4 stock valve covers, section and weld them together to make 2 for a stock look. I also have the plastec vortec VC's and they are shorter yet...

It isnt the ratio that makes the valve covers not fit, it is the polylocks, and the thicker stamped rocker arm/ folcrum washer stackup.. Either way, mag or pro mag. I have the Magnum roller tip rockers and stock VC's dont quite fit. maybe I will try stacking 2 gaskets and checking it again. I might even make an aluminum spacer with a lazer cutter, or water jet... I will let you know, and make an extra set for you if I go the spacer route.

We V6 guys have to look out for eachother! LOL!

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
Lazer Cutters and water jets? Man! Your shop sounds very well stocked.
:shock:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts