Posi Question

Scorps

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 29, 2007
Kingston, Ontario
Ok so I got this whole rear end from a friend and I started to take it apart so i can have the posi and my 3:73 gear all together and ready to go in next spring. Now my problem is getting the whole posi unit out, I took the caps off and took the bolt holding the pin in but the pin will not come out. SO I need to know how it comes out I tapped it with a mini sledge and punch and it will not move, now do I have to lay into it? or is there something I'm missing? I haven't taken a rear end apart sense High School (6-7 years ago) and it wasn't a posi unit, I have taken a normal peg leg apart and there easy this is like taking apart a Dodge I have no idea what I'm doing :p So any help would be a big help.

Heres some pics:

rearend-1.jpg

here with the bolt out that holds the pin in
rearend-2.jpg

The inside of the posi
rearend-3.jpg

rearend-4.jpg

A

Anonymous

I'm not judging or being an *ss BUT....did u pull the axles out? I ask since you didnt say you did or not. :oops:

81Elky

Frequent Racer
Apr 2, 2008
Indianapolis
the axles need to be removed before the whole unit will come out right?

jrm81bu

Frequent Racer
Jul 17, 2006
Antwerp, Ohio
seen78wagon said:
I'm not judging or being an ### BUT....did u pull the axles out? I ask since you didnt say you did or not. :oops:
81Elky said:

Yes the axles need to come out before you can remove the carrier, however you need to get the pin out before you can get the axles out!

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
With a big socket remove the pinion gear. Spin the carrier around untill you see the bolt for the cross shaft.Now losin the bolt and push the cross shaft in then spin the carrier untill you can grab the cross shaft and pull it out .Push the axles in to remove the C clips with the C clips removed pull the axles out to remove the carrier.

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
You did get the WHOLE bolt out? (that holds the pin in) if not your in for a treat getting it all out. Sometimes they break.

Scorps

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 29, 2007
Kingston, Ontario
jrm81bu said:
seen78wagon said:
I'm not judging or being an ### BUT....did u pull the axles out? I ask since you didnt say you did or not. :oops:
81Elky said:

Yes the axles need to come out before you can remove the carrier, however you need to get the pin out before you can get the axles out!

Well I took that little bolt out already or is there 2? You can see in the second pic I got the 1 out so unless there is another on the inside this is going to suck.
DOUG213XRJ said:
With a big socket remove the pinion gear. Spin the carrier around untill you see the bolt for the cross shaft.Now losin the bolt and push the cross shaft in then spin the carrier untill you can grab the cross shaft and pull it out .Push the axles in to remove the C clips with the C clips removed pull the axles out to remove the carrier.

And it wasn't really tight unless it was broken before I got it which would suck.

Scorps

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 29, 2007
Kingston, Ontario
Robert1320 said:
There is only one bolt it is two-three inches long.
Did all of it come out?

After looking at it this morning the b*tch broke off so it looks like its time to get nasty :p

Scorps

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 29, 2007
Kingston, Ontario
I screwed around today with this thing for 2 hours and nothing is working I'm just about ready to give up

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts