rearend?

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
Not for a direct bolt in. Closest is the 8.5 out of a GN, 442 or hurst. Check in the fact or tech section, it's all listed there.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The driveshaft is about 1" shorter for the 8.5" rear. One rear that isn't listed in the tech section is the Ford 8.8", I think it's a bit of work to fit in though because of trailing arm geometry.

thumper

Weekend Racer
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The 8.8 is said to be pretty straight forward with needed use of aftermarket control arms lowers and some different top bushings plus you have to relocate the spring perches.

This is what a guy at Baseline Suspension sent me:

Here are notes from a customer that did the swap:

Using a mid 80's mustang rearend remove the old uca bushings and replace with spherical type bushings ( spherical bushings were used to correct the angle of the mounting ears). Get the ones with the 12mm bolt hole. You can use the ones with the 1/2" hole but you will have to bore the U bracket on the uca. Have to use lower control arms with rod type ends (connect the lca's to rearend and to frame this will help locate were to mount spring perches). Cut the spring perches off the GM 7.5 and slowly jack the rearend up to meet the springs making sure rear is centered and tack them on the 8.8. Lower and weld completely. Now you can start mounting the uca brackets and arms (just follow his directions very well written). When it comes to boring the 1/2" hole for the bottom bolt I used a pair of vise grips to hold the bracket tight against the frame. Something that may help is after the spring perches have been welded and checked remove springs this will make it easy to reach the top bolts on the uca's. The brake line off the 7.5 will bolt up to the 8.8 wheel cylinders just strech it to fit. I don't know if this will work with disk brakes but will for drum brakes. Replace the pinion yoke with one from strange or moser for the 1350 u-joint can use same drive shaft. I deleted the parking brake so you are on your own on that.

Summit p/n for Strange Pinion Yoke: STR-U1630 which is a 1350 pinion yoke.

Iceman makes products for this too and you can find spring perches cheap at Speedway Motors

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!