What are my rear end options?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yes the 8.5 is the same width, but the pinion is out another 1" I believe.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
im gonna check out if 15x9 will work with a 275/60/15 <---I believe thats the tire. Its a BF Goodrich radial T/A those are 11 inches wide. which would be a good bulge on the rim. as long as i can get a B/S so they sit right. Also a possibility im looking at, Not sure what you guys know about a 97 chevy express van 2500, It has a 350 250000 miles on it. still runs strong. turbo 400 automatic 4 spd with overdrive i believe. and a shift kit. it was bought new for towing trailers, so they engine and trans are heavy duty. Its my parents company vehicle but im wondering about the rear in it. Once i go to work tomorrow il check it out, but ive read someone had a gm 8.5 in one. Il check out the control arm mounts and spring/leaf? Don't remember what it has, but could i use that rear then? If it all is right? I would use the engine and trnas cause i know theyve been taken very good care of. But im wondering aobut the rear. If it worked id imagine it to be just as strong as the GN 8.5.

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
A van rear will be way too wide. The brake drums will be sticking out past the body. If it has the 4L80, it might have the 14 full float, or a the semi float. FYI, I used a van rear in my old crew build cause they are wider than stock rears off a truck, stock, 67-ish, and vans are 69". Our cars are 58".

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
nvm its an 8 lug wouldnt work lol. oh well so could i fit a 15x9 with 275 60's on my stock 7.5 rear? We did a turbocad drawing of it with the dimensions, and the tire would be about 1/2 inch away from rubbing the frame. but i didnt get the measurement from the frame to the inside of the well.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts