Wheel Hop!

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Hello
What I usually recommend when someone is having wheel hop issues. Is a set of lift bars. Our lift bars feature a relocation bracket that allow you to adjust the LCA more parallel to the ground therefore eliminating wheel hop and improving your traction performance. They also have a energy suspension poly bushings that are actually a 2 piece and are drilled and taped for grease fittings. Below is link to show you what I am explaining.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_72&products_id=83&zenid=ujr5d9bspsb9an920q7v3cop72

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad :D

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Wondering how long it would take you. :D
Those are nice pieces, dont get me wrong, but am I oversimplifying it to say I can weld plates to the lower rear and raise the UCAs some?

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
83LSWagon said:
Wondering how long it would take you. :D
Those are nice pieces, dont get me wrong, but am I oversimplifying it to say I can weld plates to the lower rear and raise the UCAs some?

Can I use the excuse fashionably late.... \:D/ Thanks for the great comments. To tell you the truth I would only suggest using one or the other. You don't want to use both because that would make them work against each other. Don't get me wrong both are great products. We have had great success with the lift bar set up as well as a adjustable upper control arm. But in the end its all in what you will want to do. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad :D

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
83LSWagon said:
All stock stuff(V6 stuff)

All stock and almost 30 years old. Upgrade the the upper and lower bushings at min. Adjustable upper are a plus.

One of the guys in this thread can help you with all you suspension needs. We have used UNI, TRZ & BMR all with success!

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
TRZ Motorsports said:
The wheel hop is probably being caused by the rubber bushings deflecting and moving around. That happens with rubber stock bushings. You just need to get rid of the rubber bushings and replace them with poly or delrin. We use delrin since we've torn the poly on some cars (even slow cars) by pushing the steel sleeve right through the poly.

Ditto. No need for the lift bars. Get some good control arms in the car (Delrin bushings are much better than Poly!), set the pinion angle and you should be good to go!

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
Cutlass racer can you explain then why I added the BMR lower control arm brackets the wheel hop stopped on my car. I used the same lower control arms and moved the rear of the control arm to the lowest mounting point. It took the wheel hop right out. im trying to understand all this suspension stuff and everyone wants to sell parts im using poly bushings and now I have no hop on a 100 shot off the line. I have noticed that my suspension is unloading after take off I got some qa1s on the way.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Some of it depends on the ride height of the car. I have a ride height that I like to use that seems to work pretty well without no-hops. Some of it also depends on the amount of power that you have and how hard your converter hits the tires.

Your suspension unloading is from the instant center location being too aggressive and the car is hitting the tire really hard and the suspension rebounds from the aggressive hit. These cars are funny with how they work. You might find that your car hits the tires hard enough with the nitrous to be able to have the bars in the stock location. I had this same scenario with my car. I had BMR LCA relocation brackets on my Cutlass and in the bottom hole they hit the tire way too hard, even when I was running 13s, moved them up to the top hole and things were great until I whacked it with the nitrous. It would bounce the tire really bad because the nitrous was making the car plant the tire really hard. Put them back in the stock hole and it worked alot better on the nitrous, but on a hot slippery track it was not as consistent on the motor because it would spin just a little sometimes.

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
Buy aftermarket control arms.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
DOUG213XRJ said:
Installing these will take care of all wheel hop.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-3132G/

All they'll do is bind up the rear suspension. That in itself may help with wheel hop, but the suspension will no loger travel freely & the handling will likely suffer.

Tommy

diesel

Frequent Racer
Jan 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
WOW. I watched this post to see what others would say. I guess every car is different and has some variations. But what totally solved my problem with wheel hop was an airbag ! The wheel hop happend once I tossed in the 3.73 posi rear. I guess the tire wasnt planting itself and was loading and unloading causing the wheel hop. I went to my local speed shop (A-Team in Tinley Park), and Rob knew exactly what to sale me. Of course I had all stock suspension. Like I said before, every car is different. All I know is what worked for me. The airbag helped to preload the tire and kept it from bouncing around. My vote is for the air bag !

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts