Which G bodies have the "good" rears?

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
Yes, I tried search.
I've got an 81 Malibu that's recieving a mild small block to replace the V6. I'm going to be installing a complete Hotchkis suspension at the same time the engine goes in and figure thats a good time to replace the rear and maybe the transmission. I'm on an an extremely low budget (Hotchkis was a prize, engine a trade for my labor) so buying a built Moser or something is out of the question. Here's the build thread. http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92684

I'm thinking maybe I can find a car to part out that has a good posi rear and perhaps a better trans so I could get a rear that bolts in for free or cheap (will rebuild if needed). Car will be street driven, Auto -X, drag strip. At the strip I'll use a set of Centerlines with ET Streets and skinnys. Cam hasn't been picked yet so if any of the cars had 3 series carriers with 3.42s or 3.73s as an option that would be good.

So which cars came with the 8.5 rears that would be a bolt in with posi, and maybe a good ratio drags and short stuff? My search only came up with Grand National references and everyone thinks those cars are gold even rusted into the dirt. Is there a list somewhere thats eluding me? I'm not a member on any other G-body specific forums. Also is there an easy way to identify the good rears so I don't screw myself by buying a car someone swapped the better rear out of already?

Thanks for any help

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
NOT A TA said:
So which cars came with the 8.5 rears that would be a bolt in with posi, and maybe a good ratio drags and short stuff? My search only came up with Grand National references and everyone thinks those cars are gold even rusted into the dirt. Is there a list somewhere thats eluding me? I'm not a member on any other G-body specific forums. Also is there an easy way to identify the good rears so I don't screw myself by buying a car someone swapped the better rear out of already?

Thanks for any help

Grand Nationals
GNX Grand Nationals
Buick Regal/T-type( turbo)
Olds 442 cutlass
Monte Carlo SS (special order)/Aerocoupe's

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
84 Hurst Olds, 85-87 442 came with 3.73 gear & Posi as an option.
85-87 Buick GN/GNX & T-Type came with 3.42 & Posi as an option.
Direct bolt in w/driveshaft from same car 8.5" came from.
I haven't seen any Monte SS Option or SPO list that had the 8.5" available.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Get a Mexican Monte SS (if you could ever find one)... Dana rear :D

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
An extremely low budget isn't going to get you much. If your around 300 BHP a 7.5 will work - I just sold a 3.73 posi for $175 - save your money - do it once - do it right!!

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
lilbowtie said:
An extremely low budget isn't going to get you much. If your around 300 BHP a 7.5 will work - I just sold a 3.73 posi for $175 - save your money - do it once - do it right!!

No extra money to save, thats why I've got to find a creative way of achieving the goal. I'll figure something out. There's a way, I just have to find it.

Thanks Guys!

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
In the FAQ section: http://www.maliburacing.com/rearend_guide.html

Should solve your ID issue.

8)
bukweet

tuggy24g

Frequent Racer
Nov 17, 2008
Newtown PA
www.buckslp.org
Night Stalker said:
NOT A TA said:

Thanks for any help

Grand Nationals
GNX Grand Nationals
Olds 442 cutlass

Are you sure the Monte Carlo SS even had an option forum an 8.5???? I never heard of one that came factory with one. I know the Monte Carlo SS came with a 7.625 (or something like that) that is a little stronger then your normal 7.5. Not great for tons of power, but a little but of an upgrade for 300HP

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
tuggy24g said:
Night Stalker said:
NOT A TA said:

Thanks for any help

Grand Nationals
GNX Grand Nationals
Olds 442 cutlass

Are you sure the Monte Carlo SS even had an option forum an 8.5???? I never heard of one that came factory with one. I know the Monte Carlo SS came with a 7.625 (or something like that) that is a little stronger then your normal 7.5. Not great for tons of power, but a little but of an upgrade for 300HP

There's no such thing as an 8.5" rear in ANY Monte SS, Aerocoupe or otherwise. They all got 7.625's. That's all a 180 HP 305 needs...

Tommy

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Dumb question, but would a wagon with some sort of towing package have come with a beefier rear end, or would it have been the standard 7.5???

Just wondering....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts