267 V8 Problem

Shawn F.

Amateur Racer
Jan 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
tiedymike, you are right! I fixed it the other night though but forgot to mention it on here and it's exactly what you said it was. It's running OK now and not smoking, only on startup from bad valve seals. Either way I am finishing this 355 and swapping it. :) Thanks a ton for your guys' help!

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Good deal, glad you got it worked out. And I tell ya, you are not going to miss that 267! GM attempted to make a v8 with good fuel economy and low emissions and they failed on both fronts! Anyway, double check your transmission, it's probably either a TH200 or a TH250. Chevy never put a TH350 behind the 267 from the factory. The TH200 pan has 11 bolts. The TH250 pan is identical to the TH350 with 13 bolts. The way to identify the TH250 is it has a stud and nut sticking out on the passenger side near the cooler lines, the TH350 does not. You don't want the 250, they are really weak. A 350 is a direct swap, bolt for bolt, and much stronger.

Shawn F.

Amateur Racer
Jan 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Oh ok then that is good and bad in a way. My plan was to pull this 267 and transmission thinking it was a TH350 and throw in the TH350 I have under my house that was put away for a T bucket project and just rebuild the old TH350 and use it for the T bucket instead but now I guess I will use the Powerglide I have for the T instead. ](*,)
I really appreciate the information here! I have not really found anyone who knows anything about this 267 engine combo I have on the El Camino forum. Most people have never heard of a 4.4L 267 V8 and you are right they are a dog at only 115HP and very bad on gas. This 355 I am building should have more power (hoping 350-360HP but not sure) and get better mileage. I would like to swap the trans for a 200-4r or 700R4 but do not have that kind of money to spend on one right now. I plan to buy the Iceman TH350 crossmember and find a pair of used headers for this 355 and run true 2.5" dual exhaust with Thrush mufflers. dancin_banana.gif I am guessing the shifter linkage is all going to swap right over as well?
Thanks again!

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Yes, the shifter linkage will swap right over, but I would double check the adjustment just to be sure.

Sounds like it will be a fun street car. Good Luck!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts