388bu's LQ4 swap thread - Its alive!

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Jackstand said:
wow dude its aready done? your baddas! so hows it compair to the old 388?
Heck yeah! I dont mess around! That and I took two weeks off work to knock it out! :lol:

Its definitely not as torquey down low, but I was surprised as to how strong it runs. Its honestly not too far off from the 388. Feels like its good enough to dip into the 12's. I cant wait to see what its like with H/C/I or a supercharger.

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
very nice work, i am jonesing to do this swap. i'm thinking carb'd, and taking the heads to patriot performance for some porting, do a cam swap, and use my NOS cheater plate on it. maybe next year :-k

A

Anonymous

Hey-
Can you provide any detail shots of the PS engine compartment as well as the front of the engine? I would like to see header/AC box clearance and accessory clearance out front. Thanks!

MD

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
mjdwyer23 said:
Hey-
Can you provide any detail shots of the PS engine compartment as well as the front of the engine? I would like to see header/AC box clearance and accessory clearance out front. Thanks!
MD
Have you seen these yet? http://www.flickr.com/photos/388bu/sets/72157607400245239/detail/

I cant get any additional pics until April as the car is locked up tight for winter, sorry.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
OK, so I just got into this same swap, the lq9 instead though, but was wondering if with the kit from BRP I'd be able to run stock truck manifolds? I'm just wondering because I don't have the 800 to shell out for the headers right now, and would prefer to use what I've got...just got to find the pedal setup for the dbw. Erm, fuel pump your running? I bought the fuel tank from an 88 FI 4.3 monte, and have to find the fule pump to go with it. Any other things you'd suggest? I am new ot the fuel injected world, but am going to learn as much and as fast as possible. I will be using wait4me performance to do the wiring harness as well. Umm, Cruise control, did you have it put in? How hard if you did have it done.

Lastly, the ctsv pan...where did you get it, and how much did you pay for it. I've been debating about getting it or just buying the brp swap, but I'm doing this on a lower budget than you mentioned, plus I wont' be dropping my engine in, have to pay somebody because I don't have the garage space or tools. Thanks for any and all help you can offer! Oh, and sorry to hijack your thread.

knievel

Amateur Racer
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale , MI
blubaldmontess said:
but was wondering if with the kit from BRP I'd be able to run stock truck manifolds? I'm just wondering because I don't have the 800 to shell out for the headers right now

I don't believe the truck manifolds will work.
The F-body manifolds are the ones that you have to use.
blubaldmontess said:
Lastly, the ctsv pan...where did you get it, and how much did you pay for it. I've been debating about getting it or just buying the brp swap, but I'm doing this on a lower budget than you mentioned

the BRP pan kit is just the LH8 hummer oil pan/accessories

It is currently on backorder through GM but priced a lot cheaper

$180 vs. $250

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
So the ls1 exhaust manifolds will bolt up the the lq9? Thats great news, I found a pair that were all of 50 bucks, and thats a lot of coin saved to do a few other things for now.

As for the oil pan I'll have to call around and see if anybody locally has one, maybe a salvage yard...

Thanks for the info guys

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts