Mufflers?

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
OK, so I guess you can condsider this a continuation of my Exhaust topic.

I've found a place that will do a custom mandrel bent exhaust with dual cats. He suggested that I supply the cats, mufflers and x-pipe and he'll do the rest. So I'll buy an x-pipe section from Summit and I'm probably going to go with Random Technology for the cats.

I know I'm going to get a zillion different opinions, but here it goes anyway....Which mufflers should I go with? I'm looking for something that sounds good under acceleration, but won't be too loud and drone me out on the highway. I plan on driving this car a lot and I have an hour+ commute each way to work. I still want to be able to hear after driving the car for a couple of hours. I know I'm asking for the best of both worlds, but I'm curious what other people like and why.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
For what your doing i would go with magnaflow. I love it on my 06 silverado. Barely noticeable on idle and sounds real deep on accaleration. Would be a little louder on a dual setup but would prob be just right for what you want with dual cats in front of them they will be pretty mellow i bet.

uneek1976

Weekend Racer
Jul 15, 2009
I agree with sbmalibu, I had magnaflows on a sbc and they sounded great. So with cats they should be in your balpark. HTH.

Big Reazon

Weekend Racer
Feb 6, 2007
Seattle, Wa
I ran pypes race pros with an x pipe and full length headers on a sbc 400 and could have a conversation on the free way if I wan't gunning it.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I just dropped the car off at the shop the have the exhaust done. As we were looking at the car, we changed direction and decided that he will supply the high flow cats, x-pipe and mufflers. It will make it eaiser in case he needs to swap them for different offsets, etc.

I explained to him what I was looking for the sound of the exhaust and he too recommended the Magnaflows. So with his suggestion and the recommendations from here I decided to go with the Maganflows. Thanks guys for your suggestions!

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Cool hope you like them. I have never had a complaint with them.I run bassani s on my car but thats because mt buddy is sponsored by them and gets free muffs every year. I would have magnaflows on the malibu also if i had to buy new.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I should get the car back by the end of the week. When I do I'll report back.

uneek1976

Weekend Racer
Jul 15, 2009
You will like them I never had a problem with them either. I run Borla's Pro XS now because I wanted to try something different but I will go back to the Magnaflows.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I have a stock catback with a magnaflow muffler on my Trans Am. It's like everyone else has mentioned, good tone under WOT, but quiet at idle/highway speeds. IMO its a little too quiet for my taste, but if you're driving the car quite a bit, and have a good commute, it would probably be the best route.
My Malibu has dual flowmaster style chambered mufflers and it's loud at any rpm.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I'm going to have to report back next week on the Maganflows as the guy who does the exhaust at the shop had a death in the family and wasn't in last week. I hope to pick it up this Friday. From the feedback here, it sounds like I should be happy with them.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts