Narrowing the bumpers

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
That look's sweet. I like that look. really clean lines. nice work also, like all the pic's.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
skayser2 said:
Great work and looks great =D> I pretty much did the same thing with my 80. I only took 1 1/8" from each end and also moved the bumpers in closer by 1/2". Had to fab new rear mounts as the alum. was too far gone. Trimmd the end and horizontal fillers back to fit also. Rechroming cost me a small fortune :-& Plan on paint or chrome? Nice job!!!

Steve

IMG_0002-4.jpg

IMG_0003-4.jpg

IMG_0004-3.jpg

IMG_0005-1-1.jpg
[/quote]

Do you you have some pictures of the full front and rear of your car?? I would really like to get a better idea of how mine would turn out. You said you only took out 1 1/8th of material. How far in did you go and the support behind the bumper how did you get it to line up to the mounting holes?

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
80malibucoup said:
Do you you have some pictures of the full front and rear of your car?? I would really like to get a better idea of how mine would turn out. You said you only took out 1 1/8th of material. How far in did you go and the support behind the bumper how did you get it to line up to the mounting holes?

Due to the age of these cars and metal fatigue over the years, I wouldn't go by other peoples measurements. I took a different amount out of each side to get both the same. Best way to do it is mount the bumper on the car, measure how much you want to take out from each side. then cut.

as per the mounting holes, if you start your cut right where the corner is (where it first straightens out), you dont go into the mounting holes at all. Also, just a FYI when you narrow the front bumper, you will have to set the bumper back at least a 1/2 inch to get the sides back where they belong. due to the 'v' shape of the front bumper, when you take 1-2 inches out of the bumper the sides move forward about a 1/2 inch.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
"Due to the age of these cars and metal fatigue over the years, I wouldn't go by other peoples measurements. I took a different amount out of each side to get both the same. Best way to do it is mount the bumper on the car, measure how much you want to take out from each side. then cut.

as per the mounting holes, if you start your cut right where the corner is (where it first straightens out), you dont go into the mounting holes at all. Also, just a FYI when you narrow the front bumper, you will have to set the bumper back at least a 1/2 inch to get the sides back where they belong. due to the 'v' shape of the front bumper, when you take 1-2 inches out of the bumper the sides move forward about a 1/2 inch"

Yep, exactly what Betcha618 said. Hate to highjack his thread cause he's doing it the right way. Did all my measurements with the full bumpers on. Did my cuts on a band saw though. As far as pushing mine in the 1/2", I ordered (from TNT) shorter mounts to replace the standard length shocks and bolted the fronts right up. The rear mount plates were too far gone so I fabbed (minus the 1/2") new ones from mild steel, and used the stock shocks. The proper angle is built into these plates.

bumper14.jpg

bumper16.jpg

bumper15.jpg

bumper13.jpg

bumper17.jpg

bumper12.jpg

Don't intend to high jack your thread Betcha618. I like your work and think it'll look great! Can't wait to see the final paint and assembly. I'll dissappear into the background after this.

Steve

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
No need to apologize. I posted this thread to show what i did and maybe give others ideas and motivation to do theirs. I am in no way an expert, this was my first time. Learning as i go. I hope any one else with experience doing this posts what they have done too. Maybe someone else thought of something we didn't.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
I really apriciate both of you guys helping me out. I've been wanting to do this for 7yrs now, but didn't know where to start. My neighbor and I might get started next week,after I find somemore bumpers just in case.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Cool!! Enjoy this topic! IMO it's one of the best things that improves the looks of the gbody. Wish I'd had taken more pictures!

Had to build the rear plates from scratch cause the others were too far gone (most northern cars). Built the 1/2" "push" into them along with the correct shock mount angle. Another memeber here may begin building these from alum.

bumperbrackets011.jpg

bumperbrackets012.jpg

Steve

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
tHOSE Are really cool. hopefully someone starts making them for the people that arent as handy as you.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Have you guys also collapsed (drilled) the energy absorbers and tack welded them in place for a closer fit?

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
i had to collapse the bumper shocks all the way because i was using a MonteCarlo frame and the front frame horns are like 4 inches longer then the Malibu. but on a stock malibu frame after you narrow the bumper you will have to collaps the front shocxks 1 - 1 1/2" to get the ends of the bumper in the right spot.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!