Started my swap!

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Got the trans bolted in yesterday. Went as smoother than I could have imagined.
When I said center, I meant left to right. But I believe it is more important to have the trans point to the rear-end. Correct? Also, since the last update, I made 3/8" plates to put the motor mounts on. They are rough at the moment, but I cut them too big in purpose in case I found a reason to keep them that large. One thing that I did not snap a photo of though was the driveshaft. I have 2 of them. One from a late model silverado(Giant aluminum) and the stock one. Both are about an inch or so too long, so I gotta cut and weld. Which One should I use?

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

That is much better.
DSC01055.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
for a drive shaft, I took mine to a machine shop, but it was the stock one from a Grand national, had them put on the bigger joint for the transmission but I'm running a 4L80, so if your running a 200r4 or whatnot, a stock one should be fine. Eventually I've got to upgrade to an aluminum one, but don't want one of them big 4" ones from a truck...seems a bit too overkill for my application.

Looks good and is coming along great, you'll be very happy when its done...trust me! Just make sure you get the obdII port put into the car. anymore questions ask away or pm me

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Thanks! Sounds good. \:D/

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
stupid question, I'm sure, but why did you go with that trans and not teh 4l65 or 4l60/4l80? The only reason I ask, with the engine and trans working in harmony, its a great thing and you can tune them to do what you want how you want by the click of a mouse pad...just thought I'd ask.

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
That trans has a fresh rebuild on it, and it was just sitting in my dads shop. Since I want a 6-speed anyway, my dad said he would loan me the trans until I could afford the T56 and parts. If I were to stay with an auto, I would have gone with a 4L

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Sounds good to me! Have you run the fuel setup yet? It is cheaper if you get the baffled tank and the sending unit used...a new one from gbodyparts.com cost me 180 shipped, and on ebay they are bout the same price. Tanks are almost 200 bucks from advanced...I used my stock tank until I can find a good baffled one or afford a new one.

The trans idea is good, only thing that sucks is getting the adapter plate to mount it up. Either way, good luck with it. I'm still debating on tearing out the transmission and throwing a 6 speed in there, but I think I'll wait til I add some more ponies under the hood!

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
What adapter plate? It bolted right up. Am I going to have a problem with the converter and flywheel in?
And for fuel, As far as I know, my best choice is a sump on the stock tank. The Tanks from Monte's are different from the one I have. It is more of a cube in my car. As for the pump, I am not too sure yet with that either. My buddy said he found a capable in-line for about $80 on summit.

TurboBu

Daily Driver
Jul 13, 2009
Sw Missouri
My last car was an '81 regal w/454 th400, 9" combo, I used an aluminum truck drive shaft that i shortened myself. It worked great and light.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts