Tremec TKO-600 (2)

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
sorry about all the questions and zero progress...

How do you guys feel about this flywheel...

http://www.autozone.com/R,4941066/v...partType,00906/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

... It's for a '75 Chevelle with a 350.... looks like a good deal to me...

and what about this clutch set to match...

http://www.autozone.com/R,3682525/v...partType,00179/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

... it fits a '75 Corvette with a 350. I figure since they are from the same year, they would probably both be for very similar motors. And since the clutch has a 26 spline hole, it should fit right on a TKO input shaft... theoretically of course... This is all in theory until I get underneath the car and start turning the wrenches...
Let me know what you guys think... I'm just trying to let everyone know about all the little details so someone else can just buy all the same pieces and do it in a weekend for themselves... thats the plan...

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
ugh... so I went to Fenco's (the clutch manufacturer) website and roamed around their parts catalog for a while and compared clutches... here's what I came up with...

The 350 ci clutch kit for the 78 Malibu is a 10 spline...(NU1853-1)... it is the same kit that fits the 75 corvette with a 350... under the 75 Corvette is also an 11' disc kit (NU5551-8) with 26 splines and a 10.4" disc with 26 splines to match the TKO-600 (NU0056)... They also all use the same cover type and the same throwout bearing... so... from this crazy logic I figure that they should all match up pretty closely, except for the 11", to the smaller bellhousing and the smaller flywheel (FW96516)...

So, after all the research... I ordered the clutch kit and the flywheel today for under $200 for all of it... I need to still buy bolts and such though... so I ordered the clutch kit NU0056 and the flywheel FW96516...

Just an FYI about whats up...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I believe outside friction materials, you will only have a couple different OE clutch sizes for SBC/BBC. Far as what I've found, they're either a 10-spline or 26-spline unit. Some Fords had 10-spline (T10s, etc.... older transmissions like Saginaws), and they also have another spline count that I don't remember.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Good ol' Summitracing.com verified all my theories real quick...
Just ran a cross reference of this clutch kit I found for the 81 Malibu... it pulls up pretty much every mid to full size car with a SBC from 1967 to 1988... I guess they're not that different after all and I didn't have anything to worry about...

I'm starting to get really anxious about this project... I haven't bought new car parts in probably a year or two, let alone had a project such as this to peak my interest... Progress should be starting to increase as soon as I get a few more parts lined up... I hope I remember to take some pictures while I'm at it...

Keep watch, this should be a great build...

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Ok, so I went and picked up my clutch set and flywheel today... crazy... I haven't been in the parts store this much in a really long time...

Anyway, the flywheel and the clutch set seemed to match up just fine and all seems well for now...
I realized I am spending too much money, or having way too much fun for one month, and figured out that I'll have to wait another week or so to buy the crossmember...

I would really like to fire this thing up the evening of March 13th after I get off work in the afternoon... I just hope I can get all my parts received by then... I honestly don't know what kind of lead time is on the transmission... but everything else that I have to buy is about 2 weeks to get prepped or built and in my hands... It's closing in on the launch date a lot faster than I thought...

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Ok, so I have some bad news followed by some ok news...

The TKO-600 project is being postponed to a later period of time when I am in the market for the really gigantic projects... it seems that there are quite a few smaller projects that I would like to get done this year as well and if I were to do this swap, then I wouldn't be able to do any of the other mods until next winter... My main thing is just getting this car moving again, so I am just going to put in a decent TH350 to get it racing again... just so I can actually enjoy it again... plus, the other projects will give me more than my mechanical fix as time goes on...

So, I guess for now I will still be dreaming and doing some research on the swap... I hope that anyone who stumbles across this thread will find some inspiration to do this swap themselves... I think I worked out most of the kinks... feel free to still give input on the subject and as questions about it... I am always in a mood to find things out...

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
BOOOOOoooooo. Real cars have 3 pedals. And even if yours does have three that third must work!!
Dont worry, I felt your pain.... for years.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I feel the same way... I am building this car to just be a driving car... not a drag car, though I love the 1/4 mile... not a daily driver, though I would love to drive it every day as I used to... but a driver's car... a car that I could get in and not have any choice but to mesh with the car and lose all my focusses on the world and just drive... just enjoy the drive...

so I am pretty sure it will eventually have that operable 3rd pedal, but for now I must submit to circumstances and just get it moving again... it's better to have it drivable than to just dream of it being drivable... it has pained me all winter to see it just sit there as the snow and ice covered it and then melted off and then cover it and melt off and then the sun started to shine and the weather is starting to get warmer and it still sits... lifeless... it looks so sad... almost like some beast being taunted and broken to become a house pet...

sorry, i'm somewhat of a poet and a sensitive soul...
but you get the point...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!