Tremec TKO 600

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
Stangboy said:
So cliff notes, on a budget, I can use stock 4 spd pedals, bell, clutch, and get a tremec, a bell housing, and modify the DS and X member? Am I missing anything? What part number is the Tremec outside the kit you all used? The more I read, the more confused I got..

Stangboy - I used a nonkit, Tremec part #5009. I am using my stock crossmember (modified), and a shortened driveshaft. Hope that helps you!

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
Thank you sir. I may consider this over winter.... Love OD on the Bu. Guess it needs to run first though....

Project M

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2004
Camano Island, Washington
TKO 600

I also used a non kit Tremec TKO 600 (#5009) as did malihoochie .
I used an "iceman" Turbo 350 crossmember with about 1.5" of
additional angle material added to the front of the outside mounts
to push the member back enough to mate with the transmission
pad. And I had my driveline shortened. The crossmember fits great
with about a 3/4" overhang on the frame . And while I had car apart
I also added some BMR adjustable upper rear control arms with
matching boxed lowers. Man do those control arms blow hotchkis
arms outa the water. They are super beafy, very nice and cheaper
than the competition. I'm currently installing a relocation kit
(offset dowels) for the lakewood bellhousing. The Tremec company
allows only a maximum of .005" for the offset or endplay. Of
course mine barely didn't make it at .007" offset . :)

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
ProjectM - What bellhousing are you using?

I finally got my car out on the road last night. :D The 5 speed brings some extra "fun factor" back in to driving the car compared to the old TH350.

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
He mentioned a lakewood, I assume 15015, the F-body housing. Does anyone have an opinion on going this route vs an aftermarket T56? I'm considering both, is the tremec available with a 10 spline input shaft, asking because I could reuse my centerforce clutch currently in use with my T-10. I only have about 500 miles on this setup, but I gotta get an overdrive to enjoy this car thoroughly. May be good enough for the strip, but cruising or day trips don't work with 3000+ rpm @ highway speed.

Project M

Amateur Racer
May 10, 2004
Camano Island, Washington
TKO 600

I used the lakewood #15015. And I do agree with you on the fun factor of a 5 speed over a th350. I blew up my B&M converter after only 500 miles on the transmission and engine. I have always like stick shifts. I've owned both a 1979 and 1980 Malibu with factory 4 speeds. I miss shifting so Blowing up my converter just made that decision easier. Although it would have been cheaper to fix the th350. Oh well I'm not building this for an investment. I'm building it because it's fun, I like G-bodies and you don't see alot them around that are clean and/or a sleeper. :)

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Today is November 17th. It has been about a year since I started this. Today I called Keisler to find out about the crossmember for my Malibu. Keisler has discontinued the G-Body kit due to too many variations in body styles? So I asked what the deal was since I bought a PERFECT FIT SYSTEM.
While I am very pleased with the product and in the long run doing the work was rather fun its still unfinished. Keisler is going to see what they can do to make it right.
The transmission still shifts great. The clutch is excellent. The shifter throw is definitely wore in, sometimes if I am shifting extra hard there is a dead spot going from second to third. The shifter can get lost somewhere in there causing a missed shift. All of the synchros feel good. Downshifting is a breeze. The second to third in the cold still bumps the gear teeth ever so lightly untill its warmed up. Was it worth it? I should have pieced it together.
The transmission itself is very nice, I am truely pleased.

The 454 install and conversion is still ongoing. I only need to assembly the engine and then I will once again resurrect this thread as I convert to a big block. Same bellhousing, same clutch. Just a new engine. I will get pics of the header clearance with the mech linkage, and I will do a better job indexing the bellhousing. I like to take pictures, so I will post again.

Jeff

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
thats good to hear. i was just wondering how everything has been going

we def need to see some pic

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Keisler is sending me a gift cert for $150. I guess I am done with them. I wonder what I can buy with a buck fifty?

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
skimming through there sight a nifty corvette shifter :roll:

you pay shipping im sure :x

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts