Which one would you pick?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So I need to drop the front end of my car down more. I installed Suspension Techniques sport lowering springs many years ago now. The rear sits perfect, the edge of the tire is level with the edge of the wheel well opening, but the front has about a 1.5" gap and it looks funky. I dont want to increase the spring rate anymore than the springs that are in it, which dont have a rate listed of course but IIRC they are 600lb at compressed height. So cutting them is out. Of course I dont know how much they actually lowered the car because the old springs were shot and sagging anyways (edit-after looking around on the net looks like they are 1" drop). The more I look around everyone says dont go for 3" of drop by springs only because it'll cause alignment issues. I have Hotchkis upper a-arms I bought but I've heard so many people complain about the bumpsteer and ackerman angle with the b-body spindles, while others say it's fine & dont worry. I figure while I have it apart I might as well do a front brake upgrade too :) I already have some 4 piston C4 Corvette calipers to install, but need to figure out which spindles I'm using first because I may go with a dropped spindle. Then of course comes the spring choice and everyone has used a different one to get the same amount of drop. Any idea's?

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
I would go with G-body dropped spindles in the front.

IIRC the stock B-body spindle will slightly lower the car, but not by much.....1" maybe?? I believe they also move the wheels out 3/8". And a dropped B-body spindle is rather expensive. At that point, if the stock spindle will drop the car slightly and you go 2" past that point, you will be on the ground lol

Judging by your avatar pic, I would say get ready for some tire rubbing fun after dropping the front 8)

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
This pic shows it a little better. front end sits higher than the rear...

DSC00057.jpg

Goonbody

Amateur Racer
May 30, 2010
South St. Paul, MN
What rims are those. I like them.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Those are 3rd Gen Camaro wheels

How about S10 drop spindles? They can be had cheap and they don't alter your shock selection.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I've thought of those too. I'm nmot agaimst any of the mods, just dont want to do it twice and buy stuff that doesnt work or isnt needed. I've even thought of Impala (B-body) dropped spindles just undecided which would be best.... The rims are from an '87 IROC with 245/50/16 tires all around. Looking to go 17" or possibly staggered 17/18's. It's hard to tell from that pic and the shadow, but the rear tires sits even with the lip, while the front has over a 1" gap, closer to 2"....

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
Sorry for the off topic question, but will the C4 calipers fit under a 15 or 16 inch wheel?.. And I agree with TURNA, just put a big block in it...my wagon sits nice with one. :)

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
AFAIK, they wont fit under 15, but fit under MOST 16" but not all. Really it depends more on the rotor diameter.

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I like the drop spindle because it allows you to run a taller/ lighter spring with more stored energy. Great theory on a drag car.....but I don't know what that does for a car trying to turn. Based off of the couple of G bodies have have lowered, I would think that at 3" of spring drop, you would either be riding around on the bumpstop or have the lower arms such that the chassis side is lower than the wheel side. (This doesn't mean much to me, but I thought I read somewhere this condition was bad)
I would think your best option for geometry and travel would be 2" of spindle and an inch of spring...but the only suspension concepts I have any grasp on are for drag racing. There was a member (I think his screen name was Norm) who seemed knowledgable on road racing suspensions. Maybe he will chime in.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts