TKO swap thread

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Doober said:
You may be able to come up with something using a stock console, stick coming up through the stock shifter plate.

Considered that, and looked at g-body parts catalog for a while. Biggest problem is I have a bench seat. I do have 2 monte buckets in storage, but I like my bench. Problem two is the shifter arm (which I know is cheap and easy to replace) is only about 6-7" long. With the height of the console, I dont even know if the ball would clear the console.

blue70chevelle

Daily Driver
Jan 11, 2007
long island
Were you running a Z bar setup with the 4 speed? If so what headers were/are you running? I'm looking for a 1 3/4" primary that will clear a z bar and nobody has any answers for me..

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
HarrisonTX said:
I'm about to patch up the old 4 speed hole, and I just dont know what to do for a shifter boot. I'd rather not run that big "super boot" available at Autozone.

Agreed, don't use a superboot unless you have to. If you don't have much penetration, I always liked the round boot and plate used in the 60s Cobras and Mustangs. The look is clean and simple, and would look correct with a bench seat. You may first have to fabricate a small flat area to mount it to; it won't look right on a curved surface.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Any bellhousing issues? I know the input shaft length is supposed to be a little longer than on a T5, not sure about a T10. Wondering if there are any issues as it pertains to pilot bearings, etc.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Supe said:
Any bellhousing issues? I know the input shaft length is supposed to be a little longer than on a T5, not sure about a T10. Wondering if there are any issues as it pertains to pilot bearings, etc.
Not that I was aware of. Just slide right in. I didnt measure input shafts, I just went off the fact that the TKO is supposed to be a direct replacement for a 4 speed.
t5montecarlo said:
Agreed, don't use a superboot unless you have to. If you don't have much penetration, I always liked the round boot and plate used in the 60s Cobras and Mustangs. The look is clean and simple, and would look correct with a bench seat. You may first have to fabricate a small flat area to mount it to; it won't look right on a curved surface.

I like that round boot too, but I actually built a small template for a tiny console yesterday. I live next door to a sheet metal shop so Monday I'll see if they can get me those pieces and I'll weld it up soon. It's square so I'll probably just stick with a square boot. Lokar has some new black bezels which are cool.

blue70chevelle said:
Were you running a Z bar setup with the 4 speed? If so what headers were/are you running? I'm looking for a 1 3/4" primary that will clear a z bar and nobody has any answers for me..
I still run the Z bar with the 5 speed. I remember header selection from 10 years ago when I bought mine. PAIN. I ended up going with a cheap cheap pair of HEDMANS for a g-body. SUMMIT has a tool where you pick your car, make, model, engine.. you used to be able to select Manual/Auto, but I checked and that is no longer an option.
Some headers may fit a 4 speed g body, and not be specified because the manufacturer didnt have a 4 speed g-body to test fit. It's all in the angle of that back tube. Good luck bud. If you've got the $, have a set built $$$

Here's the final shifter position.
This shifter is actually on backwards from how a t-5 would be, the TKO has provisions for both positions. I could have flipped it to the normal position, and rotated the shifter handle to bend forward but that was real close to the seat.
For the people that said you cant run a bench seat with a 4 speed. I did it just fine.
For the people that said you cant run a bench seat with a 5 speed, I'm about to do it. With actually more room.

IMAG0031.jpg

You can see the various patch pieces.
IMAG0044.jpg

Welding up that 4 speed hole
IMAG0042_BURST018.jpg

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Looking good! Is that bellhousing the Lakewood for an F body?

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Supe said:
Looking good! Is that bellhousing the Lakewood for an F body?

In the car? stock g-body 4 speed transmission.
In the pic? That's just a regular lakewood, not the f body one. I'll use it in my 260Z. Mild roller 355 with that LS1 t56. There's a $200 adapter (new faceplate) for the t-56 that allows it to bolt to a Gen1 SBC bell and use Gen1 clutch and flywheel. I will make a bracket and weld it to the bellhousing and run a hyd slave.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Here's a little cardboard job. I figure I'll measure for the top once I get the metal version sides tacked together.
I like this black trim ring from lokar. Apparently it doesnt come with a boot. I may buy the recommended lokar boot and just trim it to be short as ****.
The piece in the rear is pretty close to the angle of the front of the bench seat. I need to pull the shifter and put a hole in the carpet. I just slapped the shifter on to drive it. I was just too excited. Sure is different from a 4 speed. 12" shifts VS 4 inches. Shifting into fifth is a bit notchy but every other gear is just fine. Shifter is a Steeda Tri-Ax

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/X70-BAF1/10002/-1

IMAG0052.jpg
[/QUOTE]

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
That Lokar boot looks like the one that came stock in a Monza.

Are you able to make the box shorter, then put a sheet metal plate on top with a small hole and use a smaller boot and trim ring? (just my opinion, and more like they way GM did it with the T50 Cutlass)

I had a shifter about that short in my wagon and hated it quickly; it was too far to reach. I had to put a longer one. How is the reach on your short shifter?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!