Tremec TKO 600

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Putting it an a forward gear will stop the clutch from turning so you can ease it into reverse. I must have had the clutch a little bit too tight, I added a little more pedal and i am fine now.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Went to the track and ran a 13.24 @107. transmission was perfect. The tremec feels soooo good... it is the only highlight of the car for me right now.
I changed my rear end from the 7.5 with 4.10 gears to a 9" with 3.89s.
Now the clutch slips a little. Not sure if its because of the engine/ rear end change or if a little oil got on the flywheel.
Does anyone think perhaps a 10.4" clutch is too small to handle 500+ ft lbs of torque behind a Big Block? Its a Center Force Dual Friction.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Motor was pulled and transmission today.
The flywheel was burned and needs to be resurfaced. The pressure plate is the same way. Probably needs a new clutch disk. What the hell? 400 miles with the big block and it roasts the clutch? Can oil do this? I am not sure if oil got on it or not. There was oil all inside the bellhousing but the clutch disk seemed ok. Is 10.4" enough? How much can a clutch that size handle?
Center Force Dual Friction.
Running crappy radials too.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
I'm running an 11" dual friction in mine.....it doesn't slip unless you push the clutch pedal, I'd say it either got oil on it or you didn't have it adjusted right

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
my buddies camaro ate 3 centerforces behind his 500hp big block before he bought a mcleod and was done with it

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
heh Spence...so far I've heard that same story about every clutch manufacturer....center force, spec, mcleod, trexilla....they all suck if you read enough forums lol....I steered way away from mcleod simply because their customer service is non exisistant unless you've all day to sit at the phone and wait till the ONE guy they have to do tech support can talk to you.....oh btw he's only there from 9 - 3 pst too. I tried for 3 days straight to get ahold of him to ask him a simple question about their bellhousing for the t-56......

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Sounds pretty typical. Everyone has favorites. I do like the Center Force. Not sure why it failed on me. I am pretty sure that it was part my fault. I enjoyed it for a long time and it had virtually no wear. Then I changed to a Big Block and it was ok behind 4.10 gears. After 300 miles behind the Big Block I swapped rear ends for a 9" w/3.89 gears and was feeling a little frisky one day and did a second gear dump. Clutch went up in a cloud of smoke. Must have had a little oil on it. Just not sure how it got there.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I called Centerforce today. Seems there are three different versions of the 10.4 " Dual Friction setups. Each has its own different clamping strength based on your application. Of course I had the weakest possible one and when I bought it from Jegs they didnt tell me anything or didnt know. It was for a Camaro too.
So now I have the correct part number ( DF161739 ) that should hold up to my mild Big Block. The clutch is for a Pontiac or Bonneville, early 70's and 6.6L Those were heavy cars. According to Centerforce, I should be good to go.
I sure did roast that other one...what a shame.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
RatMalibu said:
I steered way away from mcleod simply because their customer service is non exisistant unless you've all day to sit at the phone and wait till the ONE guy they have to do tech support can talk to you...

Really? I had no problems w/McLeod. I told him what I was doing, said I have no idea what I needed & he set me up just fine.

Of course, that was 2 years ago...

Tommy

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
So new clutch is in (Center Force Dual Friction #DF161739).
Feels different then the last one I had. This one is even smoother then the last. Vey easy pedal feel. Pressure plate is supposedly stronger with more clamping force.
Tremec feels great all around still. Shifting is so easy up or down.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts