Tremec TKO 600

beachbum29

Frequent Racer
Dec 20, 2004
Upstate, N.Y.
what's this new bell accept for a clutch fork?

beachbum29

Frequent Racer
Dec 20, 2004
Upstate, N.Y.
Meat Drapes said:
All in all, there are some NO-NOs that I can recall now that the transmission is in. Not checking the run-out was a bad idea. And I still have not adjusted the driveline angle to the ideal angles. Its all irrelevant now as I have begun teardown of the new 454. The header issue for Big Block Malibus is solved so I can keep my linkage and not worry about the hydraulic setup.
The next posts will come later but this will start again but with a Big Block and checking things the right way.

question........ what headers are you going with? I'm also doing a big block in my bu with the mechanical linkage and I'm still gathering part numbers for the "hard" parts..

Thanks,
Mike

RKHiPerformance

Amateur Racer
(oops...double post)

RKHiPerformance

Amateur Racer
"what's this new bell accept for a clutch fork?"

On page 8 of the new products insert in the latest OPG G-Body catalog, the new bellhousing is described as follows :

1978 - 1981 Chevrolet 11" High-Performance Bellhousing
Used with most high performance big and small blocks

(Too New For Photo)

Standard equipment for most all high performance big and small block Chevrolet engines, these quality reproduction bellhousings are cast from aluminum. They are replacement for Chevelles, El Caminos, and Monte Carlos with a manual transmission.

PN CH26684 $169.95

Seems to me the stock G-body fork should be used.
OPG: 1-800-243-8355

HTH,
Rick

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I will be using the stock 606 bellhousing for my 454, and to retain the clutch I bought Ill get a 10.5" flywheel for a 454 BBC, its Part# 3963537.
I won some headers on Ebay, kinda wished now I would not have but the price was good. They are Sanderson , part# BB3. They are ceramic coated..only paid $235 plus the ride and are new. So as far as I am concerned at this point the drive train aspect is finished.
I still need to dump my 327 before I can begin though... so I am still going slow.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Mech linkage and I found BB headers to clear it all.

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
So cliff notes, on a budget, I can use stock 4 spd pedals, bell, clutch, and get a tremec, a bell housing, and modify the DS and X member? Am I missing anything? What part number is the Tremec outside the kit you all used? The more I read, the more confused I got..

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
My 79 Bu was a factory 4 speed. When I bought the Tremec ( TRG-X05009 Keisler part#?) it was a kit that included everything that was supposed to make it just a drop in and go. It wasnt. I had to cut the trans tunnel and then build a new hump out of sheetmetal. The DS needed to be shortened, Kesler did that for me as part of the kit. And STILL TO THIS DAY Keisler has not given me a x-member that fit right. I had to buy a frame extension and get a later model G-Body crossmember for the Tremec to be stable. As I look back on this install, I am happy it turned out the way it did. My car now has my unique mark on it. I built it. I modified it. I wouldnt have it any other way.
If you decide to go with the Tremec the transmission itself wont dissappoint you. The install is not hard at all. I have the template still for the tunnel for a Tremec with a 2 inch offset. I am not even sure I needed the offset. Dont be discouraged by some of my idiotic post. If you are confused, ask more questions.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts